Which Aopen for cool n quiet?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stgreek

Which Aopen for cool n quiet?

Post by stgreek » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Hi everyone. I've been looking for a new small rig lately after ditching another shuttle due to problems. I've heard that the Aopen EZ series make excellent silent PCs and was thinking of giving one a try. The setup I have thought of is the following:

Suspended Samsung Spinpoint
512MB PC2100 RAM
Pioneer DVR-107 DVD writer
Shuttle internal card reader
Geforce 5200FX fanless

I already own the above components, which brings me to my question:

With everything stated above, which would be the coolest and quietest running at stock? The EZ65 with a P4-2.0 Northwood or the EZ18 with an XP-M 2400+? Price is almost the same so it does not pose a problem. Also, which is more undervoltable/easier to quieten without mods?

I would appreciate all options, even if they don't represent any of the two rigs above. I was thinking of getting an MII mini-itx but don't know whether it is powerful enough (with a pci 5200, would it run warcraft3 ok?). Thanks for all the replies.

Stavros

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:46 pm

I'll have the AOpen EZ65 by this weekend (hopefully). I'll let you know.

Specs:

Unknown CPU
2x512 PC3200
Generic Optical Drive
GeForce2 MX400, memory heatsinks
Heatsinks on both NB and SB (passive)

I'm not sure what I'll use as the CPU. Currently I have nothing, but hopefully I'll have a 2.4C, which I've heard to run the coolest.