8rdavcore SFF PC?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

msde

8rdavcore SFF PC?

Post by msde » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:15 pm

I've been kicking around the idea of a mini-itx system for a while, but wanted to explore this option a bit. Does anyone have a SFF PC that runs 8rdavcore well? I'm looking for low power consumption in a PC, and an nforce2 running 8rdavcore would give me more options than a mini-itx.

I looked around, and these SFF PCs seem to be running nforce2 mbs, but I have no experiences with any.

MSI MEGA 180
Shuttle XPC SN41G2V2
Shuttle XPC SN41G2B
Jetway MiniQ 765 Twin

All of them seem to run $250-$300ish as of 6/2004.

Linus

Post by Linus » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:58 pm

I'm looking to do the same thing. A system that could scale way down (~300MHz?) for power savings and back up again (1.5GHz or more?) for DivX-encoding speed would be ideal.

8rdavcore claims that it supports the Shuttle SN45G, and Shuttle's manual says it can go down to 1.1V vcore, so I was thinking of going that route.

Anyone have any experience with 8rdavcore on the SN45G?

Linus

Post by Linus » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:43 am

Further googling produced this thread from BareboneCenter.de describing (in German) how one user got his Shuttle SN45G w/ XP 2000+ to automatically scale (without stability problems) from 400 to 1600MHz using 8rdavcore - not bad for an SFF PC! Here's the babelfish translation:
My solution:

Test system:

SN45G "m" bios
XP2000+ "unlocked"

Shuttle builds Main boards with Nforce2 chip set also for Desktoprechner. These Main boards have similar chips, therefore shuttles should be to each other compatible Nforce2 board. Therefore the consideration looking for these boards and to test these programs. The ITX chip of both boards is identical, therefore the selection folds. I do not have yet expenditure for gentleman, which PLL sits on the shuttle AN35N Ultra. For information I would be grateful.

Step 1.

The compatible program is called 8rdavcore

One loads oneself thus the Freeware Tools on the computer.

Step 2.

After unpacking one can start it directly. Vcore and FSB are recognized correctly and selected. The announcements and sliding control are free, the temperature attitudes are locked.
Examine the data by CCU z for security.

Step 3.

Each user of this program must know its processor. The minimum and maximum of the CCU with over clocks must admit to be. Likewise the dazugehoerge Vcore value. The Bios of the SN45G permits theoretical 100-250Mhz, to 8rdaVcore goes of theoretical 50-300Mhz.
After the guidance one is to remain with the FSB between 50 and 210Mhz, which applies in our case also to the SN45G.
A good test routine for testing stability with over clocks is prime
One can play at will with the FSB and the Vcore, until one is content.

Step 4.

The actual advantage of 8rdavcore is AutoFSB. Thus one can leave to the program over clocks. We omit this first.

Vcore Presets: By means of the sliding controls one looks for the desired Vcore AND FSB attitudes, like e.g..

200x8 with 1.6volt and 50x8 with 1.1volt and 100x8 with 1.3volt....

Further values can be added, so that the program knows at any time, how much Vcore needs the CCU.

Annone must set thus the limit "MAX" for Presets for the highest FSB. In my case that is the 200Mhz. For "MIN" I take 50Mhz. The multi is firmly in the Bios posed on 8x. My CCU achievement is to thus lie between 400Mhz and 1600Mhz.

Step 5.

I place CHANGE Delay on "nearly", so that the FSB change progresses fast.
Max load designates the CCU load (see Windows task manager alt+strg+entf), with that the CCU faster, thus the FSB to rise is. I take 50%.
Min load designates the CCU load, with which the achievement is to again sink. I take 20%. If the CCU load sinks thus under 20%, also the FSB sinks.
I set Delay max to 15, thus after 15 seconds am the program to begin to lift the FSB if the CCU load lies over the 50%.
Delay min stands on 2mins, because the CCU is to remain 2 minutes on the increased level.

Suppl.-smooth-eat:

After one set the hook with "Enabled", 8rdavcore regulates itself automatically on the minimum Setting of 50x8 with 1.1Volt.
If one starts now e.g. prime and if bench mark selects, then the CCU computes the numbers automatically - until 15sek of the AutoFSB starts and slowly the FSB raises to that bench mark to the end is. With me then the CCU stands for 1040Mhz on 130x8, thus well. The value remains then for 2 minutes, before 8rdavcore falls again on 8x50.

8rdavcore disappears in the minimized condition in the task border and seems to be very stable. The program tries to disturb failed.

I can recommend therefore the program for the SN45G, for the test with the SN41G2 expect I likewise a successful test-suppl.-smooth-eat.