It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gateway 510S Impressions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:53 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

A neighbor just got one of these, and I got to spend a little while with it. My time was limited, so don't be surprised if I missed some important details.

The system has a 2.8 Prescott on an Intel 865GV mobo, a Delta 300W PSU (No typo - GW's spec sheet is wrong...), and a 7200rpm Maxtor in a uATX case.

My first observation about the system was that fan noise is low at idle. I installed Speedfan to find CPU temp in the mid 40s. So I installed Prime95 and let it go for about 15 minutes. CPU temp went to high-50s, with a very subtle amount of fan ramping. Opening the case gave me a shock: the HSF is a small unit and there is no case fan! I didn't recognize the HSF, but it has a 70mm fan blowing across the mobo and looks like this Xeon cooler at SVC. Despite the lack of case fans, even the PSU stayed quiet under load.

The bad news concerns the Maxtor. It is hard-mounted to the case and the loudest part of the system, particularly when seeking. Nothing new in that, and we have a zillion threads discussing HD silencing.

In stock form, this system is not ultra-quiet, probably a bit under 30dba (unless seeking). It would definitely satisfy the majority of users and is an easy recommendation for a relative or friend. With a little work on the HD, most SPCRers would be happy with this system's noise profile, I think.

Has anyone else here heard one of these?