Request for comments on shopping plans: Shuttle XPC SB81P

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

specialman

Request for comments on shopping plans: Shuttle XPC SB81P

Post by specialman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:55 am

Hello experts in quiet systems,

I am planning on buying a new system which should be current state-of-the-art, powerful - though not for gaming but for multimedia and software development - AND QUIET!!!!!!

I would prefer not to have to built a system all by myself but select a customizable off-the-shelf-system instead.

However, I am not so sure how far to go in terms of expandibility.Price is not the main criteria but plays its role in this decision...

So, in a first - but long and intense - search I narrowed it down to either a Dell Dimension XPS (said to be a gaming machine, I know) and a Shuttle XPC SB81P with a P4 (3.4 GHz), with a PCIex16 graphics card with DVI (!!!) and 2 harddisks.

Not really comparable in a lot of ways, I know, but still...

I know that at least in Germany the SB81P is not yet available, and I know, that regarding the noise of a system the graphics card plays its role and here the default setup uses the built-in graphics chip, but still I would like to know if anybody has made any experiences with this sytem or if anyone with a relevant background has an opinion on this which he or she would like to share with me?

Any information is appreciated!

Regards,

Specialman