Shuttle ST62K (Zen) fan speeds

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

guzzler

Shuttle ST62K (Zen) fan speeds

Post by guzzler » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:15 am

Hello,

I am curious about what speed your ICE fan is running at.

On my system it seems to be running a bit fast (therefore a bit louder) than I expected. Mine usually runs at 2163 RPM when set at "Ultra Low" or with "Smart Fan" settings in the BIOS. From what I could tell from the manual and the information in the BIOS, it should be running around 1800 or 1900 RPM. Also, I am just using the Default "Optimized" BIOS settings (no over or under clocking).

Could you all do me a favor and post your CPU and your low fan speeds and which version of your BIOS? (Check the fan speed either in the BIOS or with SiSoftware Sandra)

I would really appreciated it. I've tried contacting Shuttle and asking them, but...

Me:
CPU: P4 2.8c
Fan Speed: 2163 RPM
BIOS: FT62S00P

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:58 pm

If you look at my review of the Shuttle Zen you'll see that my normal fan speed was 1600 rpm with a 2.4C. That CPU puts out 66W as compared to the 68-69W of your 2.8 so there shouldn't be a lot of difference in the operation of the cooling system, unless you have higher ambient/case temps or poorly applied TIM.

Look on page #4 of the review and you'll see the details of mt CPU temps/ICE fan experiments.

guzzler

Post by guzzler » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:05 am

I read your review when it came out. it pushed me over the edge to finally purchase one (actually purchased 2 Zens).

I've just been wondering if everyone else has been getting in the end, and if it's consistent. Also, if my system is higher than everyone else's it gives me some ammunition to lob at Shuttle :lol:

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:01 pm

The fan speed is a product of resistance in the Zen. Each of the BIOS settings send a particular amount of power to the fan rather than setting the fan to a particular RPM. This leaves one of two possibilities, your board is malfunctioning and sending more power than it should be or your fan isn't putting up much resistance. It's probably the latter.

You'll notice that this can be a problem if you try to switch to a low speed fan. The board will just supply more voltage to the "low speed" fan untill it spins just as fast as a "high speed" fan for each of the Smart Fan settings. To circumvent this problen you'll need to add a rheostat, like a Zalman Fanmate, between the board and the fan. The Fanmate will add resistance to the circuit, causing the baord to lower the voltage, the net effect being a slower spinning fan.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:34 am

I have just bought a Zen too and it too is running at 2200 rpm, which is way too loud. Luckily I have a spare Zalman Fanmate, so I'll try sticking that in...

guzzler

Post by guzzler » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:03 pm

Copper wrote:The fan speed is a product of resistance in the Zen. Each of the BIOS settings send a particular amount of power to the fan rather than setting the fan to a particular RPM. This leaves one of two possibilities, your board is malfunctioning and sending more power than it should be or your fan isn't putting up much resistance. It's probably the latter.

You'll notice that this can be a problem if you try to switch to a low speed fan. The board will just supply more voltage to the "low speed" fan untill it spins just as fast as a "high speed" fan for each of the Smart Fan settings. To circumvent this problen you'll need to add a rheostat, like a Zalman Fanmate, between the board and the fan. The Fanmate will add resistance to the circuit, causing the baord to lower the voltage, the net effect being a slower spinning fan.
Ok, I've been bopping around on several sites looking at reviews. One thing I finally noticed that the fan speed is completely dependant on which CPU you put in. My hypothosis is that the BIOS reads what CPU you put in, then it looks in a table and says "Oh... you have 2.8C P4, your minimum speed is 2000 RPM". Or "Oh you have 2.4A P4, your minimum speed is 1600 RPM".

So what did I do... I went and ordered a Nexus 80mm case fan. That thing won't go over 1654 RPM no matter what I do with the BIOS or with SpeedFan. End result... I'm HAPPY!!! A nice and quiet system. I can barely tell the difference if I turn off the fan versus it on (SpeedFan lets me change it).

With the addition of suspending the hard drive with a piece of string (yep, you read right, a piece of string) I think I have reached the zenith of quieting this system.

Also, I have only gained an average of 2-4 degrees from the stock fan. Big whoop :)

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:32 am

Out of curiosity, I've seen a lot of comments re the Nexus 80mm fan for the Shuttle Zen ... what about the Papst 80mm 4-pin (fixed speed?) fan? The Nexus is rated at 20.2CFM with 17.6dBA while the Papst is rated at 19.f CFM with 12dBA. Seems to me the Papst should be much quieter, but I don't see it being talked about nearly as much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
pat----

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:03 am

I own Nexus 80mm fans and some of those Papst fans (8412NGLE). The dB(A) number from Papst is clearly wrong. (This is very often the case with noise specs from manufacturers.) The Papst fans make wind noise and motor noise. The Nexus fans make only wind noise. While the wind noise is about the same level, the motor noise of the Papsts is irritating. It is not a smooth sound.

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:08 am

Thank you very much for such a quick reply! This is good to hear because the Nexus fans are less expensive than the Papst too! :)

pat----

ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:13 pm

Does anyone know how the CFM rating of the Nexus 80 compares with the stock Zen fan? I'm tempted to replace my fan to reduce the noise, but I don't want to reduce the total airflow available. Could the flow from the Nexus at around 1500 rpm (its max, at 12V) be comparable with the stock fan at 4000 rpm (at 12V)?

With 2x 80GB HDs, a 2.8G P4, and no A/C in summer I've already had to reduce the Smartfan ramp threshold from 65 to 40 to get acceptable temperatures (I now typically get CPU=48-50, HDD=40-45, at around 2,000 rpm; but it ramps to about 3,000 rpm at heavy CPU load).

[edit] OK, should have googled first but I've found out that the stock fan is 45CFM. So the Nexus, at 20CFM, probably won't cope. Any suggestions for a quiet 80mm fan around 40CFM?