Quietening the DigiDice

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toonz

Quietening the DigiDice

Post by toonz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:59 pm

Hey guys,

One of my mates has a DigiDice and he's getting annoyed with how load the fans are.

We were thinking of taking out the rear 60mm fan it currently has, cutting out the grill on the back and putting an external 80mm fan onto it to suck the air out of the case.

Anyone done anything similar to try and make these quiet?

The only things around the net we can find about making the DigiDice quiet is watercooling and he doesn't want to use watercooling.

Thanks guys.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:27 am

I think you're facing an uphill battle with that system.

It looks like there's room to mod in an 80mm fan on the rear, and that may well help with the cooling and the noise but this system has other problems as well.

-The front ventilation looks quite poor. Opening up the vents may be needed.

-The PSU has a small, undoubtedly noisy 40mm fan with a crappy grill in front of it.

-The CPU cooling fan is another 60mm job, it's probably loud too.

-That little fan on the external CPU heatsink tunnel is yet another source of noise.

toonz

Post by toonz » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:01 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:-The front ventilation looks quite poor. Opening up the vents may be needed.

-The PSU has a small, undoubtedly noisy 40mm fan with a crappy grill in front of it.

-The CPU cooling fan is another 60mm job, it's probably loud too.

-That little fan on the external CPU heatsink tunnel is yet another source of noise.
We're not after a perfectly silent solution, just one barely audible so he can sleep with it in his room so I think we'll be able to do it.
I might try and get pics when we're done to show. Anyway...

The PSU fan isn't actually that noisy and can be lived with. We're actually looking at replacing the PSU with the Shuttle SilentX PC40. We have to measure again to confirm but I believe it will fit.

The CPU fan is a problem one. If possible we were thinking of swapping the CPU fan out for a different one and removing all the heatpipe type cooling from the case, hence opening the rear up for a larger fan.

Overall though it's the 60mm case fan on the back that's the main source of noise problems. We're going to try swapping it out and seeing how we go.