Quiet Gateway 700GR (BTX Form Factor)

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

icancam

Quiet Gateway 700GR (BTX Form Factor)

Post by icancam » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:26 pm

Everyone is getting into the act. Here is Gateway's version of a cool running and quiet mid tower computer in the BTX form factor.

A friend of mine owns a Gateway with a 1.8GHz Pentium 4. It is such a screamer that it drives me from the room. My Dell Optiplex with a 2.0 P4 was considerably quieter even in stock form before I further quieted it. So, if this new Gateway is indeed quieter, it's a welcome development.

http://news.designtechnica.com/article5190.html

icancam

Post by icancam » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:43 pm

cerev1

Post by cerev1 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:08 am

This is interesting enough that I am going to put off buying the components for my DIY (my NewEgg cart is full and ready!) and check out the 700GR this weekend.

I have been holding off on building the new system, hoping that BTX would be available soon. While it seems that individual components won't be available for sale for a few months or maybe next year, Gateway is offering the chance to have the technology now. The question is, have they really built a quiet system that takes advantage of the BTX form factor or have they just crammed the latest technology into a box and priced it a a premium.

This is an exciting time to be part of the silent PC enthusiast "crowd". What has been an underground movement of some very forward thinking people is now becoming main stream and it is interesting to see the major manufacturers coming on board . "Quiet" has become quite the catch phrase in PC marketing lingo. The result has been some creative (stock water cooling on the dual processor G5 Macs is very cool) and not so creative ideas (simply allowing notebook hard drives to bake instead of coming up with a quiet cooling solution). The next two years will be very interesting.