I just got my new quiet Shuttle XPC SB83G5 ....

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

brmecham

I just got my new quiet Shuttle XPC SB83G5 ....

Post by brmecham » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:15 pm

I decided to switch to a Pentium 4 powered system.

I got the Shuttle XPC SB83G5, so far I love it.

I still need to install the OS and my DVD-writer, but so far it seems pretty quiet right out of the box.

it's got the new Intel 915G chipset, for the socket 775 Pentium 4 Processor...

I am thinking of making some mods. As soon as I get my dremel i'll start on that project. I will also post some pictures as I go.

brmecham

Shuttle XPC SB83G5 - SILENT - modded drive cooler. pictures!

Post by brmecham » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:35 pm

I got the OS loaded and everything is running smooth. The Shuttle XPC SB83G5 is very silent.

Since the Shuttle XPC's don't leave any room for a hard drive cooler (if you have 2 drives installed) I made my own. Check out the pictures below...

These new Shuttle XPC's look nice! Check out my cooling mod below...

I used a Black & Decker rotary tool (like Dremel) to make a cut out for a fan to be mounted underneath the drive cage.

The fan will blow upwards towards the hard drives (this will also help cool the motherboard components and RAM.

As you can see, there is just enough room for a standard size 80mm x 80mm fan. I am using a panaflo (FBA08A12L) fan, it is quiet even at 12 volt.

For now this is all the modding I will do to this PC.

Shuttle has added a 92mm x 92mm as the rear exhaust in this (instead of the usual 80mm.) which helps improve cooling and reduces noise.
Last edited by brmecham on Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillG

Post by BillG » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:01 am

Did you previously own a SFF? Did you have something you could compare the noise to?

brmecham

SB83G5 Shuttle XPC with fan mod

Post by brmecham » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Previously i had a Shuttle XPC SK41G w/ 200w power supply and the Shuttle XPC SN45G w/ 200w power supply.

The other Shuttle XPC's were louder than this one, especially with the 200w PSU, I later upgraded to the SilentX 250W PSU and that was a lot quieter. The biggest problem I have had with noisy computers is the hard drives! Some of those start making some high pitch noise which bugs me.

I now use seagate HD's because I heard they were the quietest, and they are very quiet. This new Shuttle XPC SB83G5 is even quieter than the TWO standard tower computers I have.

I have heard that the new Intel Prescott CPU's run very hot, but I am using the new socket 775 prescott Pentium 4 3.0 GHz and it stays around 40C. My previous AMD 2400+ and 2600+ were running at 49-53C in my old Shuttle XPC's.

I am very pleased with this new SB83G5