Shuttle ST62K assembly/tweaking notes

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:02 pm

Yeh, I found those in google too - no, it's not a Prescott, so don't think that's the problem.

I'm back on stock fan at the moment just till this problem is ironed out and with it set to "Full" fan mode, the CPU is about 39oC and the RS300 is still around 60-65oC, so looks unlikely the Nexus is the issue....

Interestingly, the maxtor hdd is roasting hot, very warm to touch, so could well be that - at the moment I'm trying a clean install of XP to see how far that gets. If that fails, I have an old 20gb IBM 7200 disc that I can try, but I know that gets like an oven, so probably won't be much better!!

Thinking about it, about a week ago, the hdd corrupted some files, I just re-imaged and all was fine, so the hdd is looking a bit suspect.... however, I wouldn't expect it to fail in the same place every time....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:08 pm

see if you can get Dtemp to work for you. It will read the temp diode in the HDD if there is one. Not a precision tool as some diodes just don't seem to report accurately, but a pretty good indicator.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:44 pm

Well, it's been a long afternoon..... :lol:

I reinstalled XP (but didn't bother with any drivers etc) and that was fine, so decided to try putting my image back onto another disk - lo and behold, that wouldn't boot either in the same manner - so I knew it wasn't hdd related.....

I'd already tried going to defaults in the bios and that made no difference, but I thought I'd try cmos reset anyway....and as if by magic it booted! So it seems that loading defaults in the bios isn't the same as pressing that cmos button on the back!

I've put the nexus back in and now I'm re-imaging back to the original disc, fingers crossed all will be ok!

Apologies if I've drifted off topic again, but thanks for your help.....

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:38 pm

Got a Samsung 40gb 2.5" drive coming tomorrow - need some zen specific advice - should I suspend it below the 3.5" bay as per the zen review and suspension tutorial, or should I suspend it somehow within the 3.5" bay itself?

colin

Post by colin » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:09 pm

Hmm. I'd like to see an answer to this myself. Maybe you'd do better posting over in the Silent Storage forum.

Probably, the easiest thing to do is going to be to imitate the tutorial, making a little cradle of elastic below the middle bay. Since the notebook drive is smaller it will definitely fit, and the connections will be simple.

Your post got me wondering about whether you could do a suspension inside a 3.5" bay the way some people suspend 3.5" drives inside a 5.25" bay, with elastic running across inside the bay. It sounds just feasible, but fiddly.

I've run across a couple of posts that seem to suggest that people have put notebook drives inside silencing boxes and suspended the boxes. Can this be true? Are there boxes the right size?

Anyway, more radical (boxed or unboxed) suspension solutions would be possible along these lines:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=16223 though with the 2.5" drive you could probably manage without shifting the fan shroud to the outside, and just snipping out the middle bay to get the extra vertical room. And you probably wouldn't need the heatsinkery.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:24 pm

Gavin wrote:Got a Samsung 40gb 2.5" drive coming tomorrow - need some zen specific advice - should I suspend it below the 3.5" bay as per the zen review and suspension tutorial, or should I suspend it somehow within the 3.5" bay itself?
Either will work, but the 3.5" bay is a tight fit and if you move the PC, the drive may get jostled and touch the frame. I like to keep the elastic quite loose -- only just tight enough -- so that there is maximum vibration decoupling. Simply removing the bottom 3.5" bay and suspending the 2.5" drive there is easier. Also, try some damping on the inside of the cover if you haven't already. It will help.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:14 pm

I've fitted the drive, didn't come off quite as I imagined....I need to get some round elastic to make a better job of it I think.

However, the Samsung is amazingly quiet, fantastic recommendation Mike, the Shuttle is now so quiet that the TFT screen I'm using it with is louder! Very impressed with it, you can still hear it if you get close, but from the distances I'm concerned about, you have to listen very hard to notice it!