IBM ThinkCentre S50

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

VRBass

IBM ThinkCentre S50

Post by VRBass » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:30 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a commercially built quiet PC. I see that IBM is making a small form-factor quiet machine called the ThinkCentre S50. The specs they give in the online hardware manual are:

Average sound-pressure levels for computers with a microprocessor that runs at or below 2.8 GHz:
At operator position - 0.5 meters: Idle: 30 dBA Operating: 34 dBA
At bystander position - 1 meter (3.3 ft): Idle: 25 dBA Operating: 29 dBA

Average sound-pressure levels for computers with a microprocessor that runs at or greater than 2.8 GHz:
At operator position - 0.5 meters: Idle: 31 dBA Operating: 34 dBA
At bystander position - 1 meter (3.3 ft): Idle: 26 dBA Operating: 29 dBA

These figures match the goals given in the "State of Computer Noise" article. But the IBM manual notes that the fans are temp controlled and I have seen several posts about people buying "quiet" PSUs which ended up running at their max. loudness all the time because the temp control doesn't really do anything once the machine comes up to a stable temp.

It's encouraging to see a machine from a major mfr promoted as SFF and quiet. Does anyone have any experience with these models yet?

Thanks, Vance

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:18 am

I thought this looked familiar so I did a little search. Sure enough, we discussed it almost a year ago!

For the lazy, here's a link directly to IBM's Think Center page.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:26 am

Wow, Ralf, you are sharp this morn! good memory, good catch. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:31 pm

MikeC wrote:Wow, Ralf, you are sharp this morn! good memory, good catch. :)
Actually, I had a pretty bad hangover this morning. You wouldn't believe how awesome I am when I'm feeling good.... :)