Building a quiet Shuttle system - need help

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexb

Building a quiet Shuttle system - need help

Post by alexb » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:11 am

Trying to build a Shuttle system... this my first time. Which shuttle is a good candidate (prefer a-socket) and what CPU/hs/fan should I get for it?

Searched but got conflicting answers!

Thnx

alexb

Post by alexb » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:55 pm

No help yet :(

Well, let me re-phrase, is there any system as quiet as "ZEN" but made for AMD? Couldn't find one!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:39 pm

alexb wrote:Well, let me re-phrase, is there any system as quiet as "ZEN" but made for AMD? Couldn't find one!
No.

alexb

Post by alexb » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:01 pm

sthayashi wrote:
alexb wrote:Well, let me re-phrase, is there any system as quiet as "ZEN" but made for AMD? Couldn't find one!
No.
so, basically the only quiet shuttle system is Zen and I have to get P4 for it!

:(

colin

Post by colin » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:31 pm

Any system can be made less noisy up to a point (and even stock Zens aren't that quiet!), but as far as I understand it, the key noise-reducing innovation the Zen has that other shuttles don't is the external powerbrick.

One alternative would be to get an AMD machine and silence it yourself, or make your own from quiet parts.

alexb

Post by alexb » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:32 pm

colin wrote:Any system can be made less noisy up to a point (and even stock Zens aren't that quiet!), but as far as I understand it, the key noise-reducing innovation the Zen has that other shuttles don't is the external powerbrick.

One alternative would be to get an AMD machine and silence it yourself, or make your own from quiet parts.
Well, I have a quiet AMD system now, but I want the shuttle size and convinence.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:27 pm

alexb wrote:
colin wrote:Any system can be made less noisy up to a point (and even stock Zens aren't that quiet!), but as far as I understand it, the key noise-reducing innovation the Zen has that other shuttles don't is the external powerbrick.
Well, I have a quiet AMD system now, but I want the shuttle size and convinence.
What colin said is essentially the reason you won't find anything AS quiet as the Zen without replacing the PSU with something from here. Even then, I'd be damn sure about the power consumption before I plugged it in.

BTW, I had forgotten about an SFF that's NOT Shuttle that might come close to what you want: the Aopen EZ-18, EX-18, or EY-18. They're not Zen quiet, but they've gotten more respect than the Shuttles in terms of silence.