Need input regarding the best way to cool Shuttle XPC SB83G5

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

brmecham

Need input regarding the best way to cool Shuttle XPC SB83G5

Post by brmecham » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:35 pm

would like input regarding, fan mods, ICE, replacement fans for the SB83G5 / SN95G5

I have had the Shuttle XPC SB83G5 for about 3 months now. It's been a great machine (upgraded from SN45G.) I want some more ideas on how I can make this thing SILENT... if not silent, QUIET, while keeping it cool.

Right now my temps (reported by Speedfan 4.18) are all 38-40 C at idle and never go past 51C.

I have tried many fans in place of the 92mm Shuttle PWM stock fan, only to go back to the Shuttle fan. I tried the Panaflo L1 and other 92mm panaflo fans, zalman. I want a fan that is quiet which I can adjust the speed using speed fan. I managed to get Panaflo fans that have a tachometer ( RPM sensor.) Speed Fan reported the RPM of these panaflo fans but I was not able to adjust the speed. Does anyone know of a different way to adjust the speed of a panaflo fan (other than undervolting) in an SB83G5 or SN95G5?

The Shuttle fan is quiet when my PC is idling, but once the fans gets up to 2100 RPM and more it is too noisy.

Second question:

I modified my hard drive cage so that I could add a SILENT Panaflo 80mm fan underneath it. (I will post pictures of it later.) So the fan is mounted below the drive cage blowing upward. The RAM and chipset is below the fan. I have a 200GB SATA seagate HD on the bottom and an 80GB SATA seagate drive above it.

The 80mm fan keeps my 200gb cool, I want to know what you all think, WOULD IT BE BETTER if the fan was blowing down against the motherboard to better cool the chipset and RAM or continue to have it blowing up at the HD's???

Any info and tips you can give would be greatful. I hope to get advice from SFF users, because obviously Shuttle XPC SB83G5 and SN95G5 are different than your standard cases/pc's.

tibbar

Post by tibbar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:25 pm

hmm well i got shuttle xpc ice case also. i got it quiet by unclocking and undervolting my prescott 3ghz to 2.49ghz @150mhz fsb, 0.9875vcore.

leave it on smartfan mode, and stick it in a cabinet. it runs cool enough not to need ventillation, and the fan is virtually silent.