How do I make my Shuttle SN95G5 quieter?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

one80

How do I make my Shuttle SN95G5 quieter?

Post by one80 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:05 pm

As the topic says I'm looking for ways to make my shuttle quieter.

I've got the following:
SN95G5 Shuttle
AMD 64 3200+
Powercolour 9600xt
WD 160GB harddrive (replaced by a Samsung 160GB shortly)
Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW

I was thinking of replacing the ICE fan with a Nexus but have heard that the power connectors are different, any sugestions there?

Is anyone aware of a passive cooling solution for my video card? I was thinking the Zalman ZM50-HP as it seems to me fairly small and hopefully should fit but can't find anywhere that sells them online and will deliver to Australia.

Could the NB chip be passively cooled by the Zalman ZM-NB47J or wouldn't that provide enough cooling?

Any help would be muchly appreciated as I'm quite new to all this. Cheers :-)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:06 am

"I was thinking of replacing the ICE fan with a Nexus but have heard that the power connectors are different, any sugestions there? "

I'd just cut the wires of the old fan just after the plug and cut the wires of the Nexus fan then just join the Nexus fan to the old plug using some electircal tape :D It's what I do in PSUs when I don't want to go near the circuitry and capacitors etc.

There are Zalman and Thermaltake passive coolers available for your card. You might be able to find someone who will ship it for you. A good bet is searching on eBay and seeing if anyone will ship to you.

spacey

Post by spacey » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:57 am

wow how quiet do you want your sn95g5. mine is already very quiet. i could easily put a passive zalman nb on the chipset.

but replacing the fan is not easy because u need to find a 4 pin pulse width modulation fan.

i just use speedfan and put the fan speed to 40%. if that is still too loud for you... wear ear plugs. seriously that is like almost pin drop quiet.

one80

Post by one80 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:03 pm

I want it whisper quiet.
I've installed a ZM50 vga cooler and the NB47J heatsink now. The graphics card was the noisiest part of my machine, so it's a fairly reasonable level now but I would like to try and quieten the PSU as that seems to be where most of the noise comes from now.

brmecham

Post by brmecham » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Jordan wrote:"I was thinking of replacing the ICE fan with a Nexus but have heard that the power connectors are different, any sugestions there? "

I'd just cut the wires of the old fan
Woah, stop right there!!! you don't need to be cutting any wires.

Yes, the new fans in the SN95G5 have a FOUR pin PWM connector, but it is still compatible with a fan that has a 3-pin connector. I am using a 3-pin fan connector on my XPC.

If you use a 3-pin fan on the 4-pin connector, the fan will work, BUT it won't work the same with Smart Fan. In my situation I don't need smart fan feature because I run my 92mm panaflo at full speed (and it's quiet!)

kamina

Post by kamina » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:24 am

Does changing the northbridge fan to a passive heatsink require taking out the motherboard? Is the fan clearly audible?

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:59 am

"Does changing the northbridge fan to a passive heatsink require taking out the motherboard?"

Yeah it does coz you have to push the little plastic plugs through from the back.

"Is the fan clearly audible?"

Depends on how loud the rest ofyour system is. But normally, yeah they are.

Tintagel

Silencing the SN95G5

Post by Tintagel » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm thinking of buying a SN95G5.

I'm going to buy a Zalman VF700-ALCU to use along with my "old" ATI 9500 Pro and run it at 5v. Since this cooler will dump the heat inside the case, i think case temp will be pretty hot.
I also plan to buy a passive Zalman NB47J to take that noisy northbridge cooler out.

1. Will the coolers fit inside the tiny case?
2. Will they provide enough cooling for "normal" use?
3. Any other (better) ideas to silence it? I'm concerned with the PSU-fans noise...

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:49 am

You may want to consider undervolting your A64, too.

Undervolting the CPU will reduce the amount of heat it dissipates enabling your cooling fans to run more slowly and therefore more quietly. There are a couple of articles on this site which look at undervolting in general and the Athlon64 specifically.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:19 am

That 9500pro could probably be kept pretty cool on a passive zalman cooler! It's not exactly a high powered fan so as long as you have sufficient case flow you're going to have one less fan running :)

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:54 am

Mariner wrote:You may want to consider undervolting your A64, too.
anyone can confirm that undervolting is possible in SN95G5 Shuttle
or had experience in changing FSB and multiplier in this XPC?

Tintagel

Post by Tintagel » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:30 pm

Thank you for your replies.

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:40 am

VERiON wrote: anyone can confirm that undervolting is possible in SN95G5 Shuttle
or had experience in changing FSB and multiplier in this XPC?
The SPCR list of undervoltable motherboards includes the SN95G5 so I assume it is possible:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article69-page1.html

I'm not sure of how much success anyone has had with these systems, however. It's difficult to tell from the SFFTech website because almost everyone over there is overvolting to overclock!

kamina

Post by kamina » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:51 am

I just got a sn95g5 and would like to pitch in.

In bios there are a few options for fan speed. Auto results in a fan speed of about 650rpm. Ultra low raises this to 850, low to 1300 ect.

I feel the quality of the fan is not very good, it makes some kind of rattling sound even at 650rpm. What I'm intrested in, is changing the fan to something else. If I put a fan (for example nexus) that rotates at 1300rpm, will it move as much air as the current fan moves at teh same speed?

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:45 am

All you need to know is the Nexus is quieter. Remeber the voltage/fan speed will ramp up based on termeratures, not ariflow. If the Neus at 5V is say only 650 RPM and the CPU is running too hot then the voltage across the fan will increase. It will only increase enough to cool the CPU to a satisfactory level, at this point it will be quieter than the stock fan no matter what.

vdorta

Post by vdorta » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:51 am

For my first build I am trying to decide between an Antec Sonata II and the SN95G5 and would like to know if the Nexus 92mm fan you're talking about is the same as this Nexus case fan.

Is the ICE fan/Nexus replacement procedure straightforward enough for a clumsy newbie like me?

Thanks

kamina

Post by kamina » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:40 pm

Is anyone running windows 2000 on the shuttle? I can't get cool & quiet to work on mine... If I select automatic it just stays on multiplier 5, if I put the other option it stays at full speed (multi 9).