Shuttle HTPC with Pentium M

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats

Shuttle HTPC with Pentium M

Post by Mats » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:01 pm

Spotted here. Oh great, when they finally went for PM they used a PSU with a 60 mm fan (but if you want low height..)... and both a plastic and a metal grille! :shock:

Pass me the Dremel, James...

XPC Zen for PM, now!

silverback

Post by silverback » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:23 pm

wow I like that, it looks nice. not what I expected at all. Im a little annoyed though they did not use an external brick psu like they did with thier other silent box. After all the low power requirements are perfect for it.

wsc

Post by wsc » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:58 pm

That is seriously cool.... I wonder how much they'll charge for it? :shock:

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:46 pm

wsc wrote:That is seriously cool.... I wonder how much they'll charge for it? :shock:
I see no reason why it (as you can see it's called XPC) should be more expensive than a regular XPC + some extra $ just because it's for PM.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:12 am

More info here.

After reading this I realize that it will probably more expensive than I first thought...

SO DIMM (why?, no room? come on...)
Removable 2.5" HD bay (now, this is something new and I really like it. maybe we'll se separate ones for 3.5" floppy bays?)

When it comes to upgradeability it looks more like a laptop, just two lids for RAM and CPU in the bottom.

slam

Post by slam » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:37 pm

it looks like the lovechild of a VCR and a laptop; or like some of the first laptops i ever used (who remembers the mac "luggable"?)

it's pretty cool! it's obvious that it's meant for the home entertainment center crowd. what i like about the XPC form factor tho is that you can pick it up and tuck it under your arm and move the system somewhere else. i need that kind of occasional portablility, but without the price tag and performance hit of a laptop. i don;t know if this vcr form factor will be as portable.

i LIKE that is has an internal PSU tho. if i'm going to drag a unit around from place to place, i don't want to also have to crawl down and unplug an external PSU, and then drag that brick and the extra cables around with it. with an interal psu, you don't even have to worry about accidentlly leaving your cord at home, because if you do you can almost alway find someone with a regular pc power cord lying around.

i think that i'm going to wait for the 3rd gen of pentium chips to come out, though, before i buy into a PM SFF or mATX. the performance boost should be huge, and i bet the pricing will be the same or even cheaper... cheaper because i expect PM systems to come into fashion this year in a big (well, relatively big) way.

slam