Shuttle PSU De-Noiseing

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vertigosity

Shuttle PSU De-Noiseing

Post by vertigosity » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:04 pm

I've got an SN45GV2 that came with a "SilentX 250w" PSU that a few people here have suggested as an upgrade to some of the older cubes with 200 watt power supplies, and I think it's kinda loud. I've got a bit of a general idea on quieting things down (larger, lower RPM fans), but since I'm a certifiably lazy idiot, what are some fairly simple suggestions for quieting this thing down? I don't see any real places to interally mount any other method of cooling the PSU even without extreme redesigning and hacking of the case, and I don't want to resort to external fans (so it can fit in it's nice little bag) - getting slightly quieter 40mm fans seems like a reasonable solution, if not really getting that close to being dead silent. Secondly, simply as a matter of curiosity, just how bad are those 200w power supplies? If this is that much better, how glad should I be that I waited until the 250s were out to get a Shuttle?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:37 pm

Unfortunately, unless you are brave and savvy enough to open up that PSU, have access to a couple of quieter 40mm fans or are able and willing to slow down the stock ones with resistors or diodes and possibly risk overheating and certainly voiding the warranty, there's not much you can do. The earlier ones were worse. Noisier for sure.

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:37 am

The "SilentX" PSU has got to be the most misleading name for a product there has ever been. Before getting one of these, I had the standard PSU which had been modded with a quiter ADDA fan. This was reasonably quiet but I thought the vaunted SilentX would be even better. Boy, was I wrong. When it first starts up it's pretty quiet but the fans ramp up within about 30 seconds of power-up and it becomes bloody loud. Ultimately I decided to give up on silencing that Shuttle (SN41G2) as I only use it for about 30 minutes a day anyway. :evil:

Now if only they would produce an external 'brick' PSU for the Shuttle...

vertigosity

Post by vertigosity » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:33 am

I'm feeling brave :twisted:
I doubt I can get it down to standards worthy of SPCR, but I'll take a shot at removing the high-pitched whine of it at least; it requires a bit of work but what PhilgB did here looks like it might have some potential.