The Perfect Passively Cooled Graphics Card for SFF / Shuttle

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

brmecham

The Perfect Passively Cooled Graphics Card for SFF / Shuttle

Post by brmecham » Thu May 26, 2005 9:53 am

I have the SB83G5. I was looking for the perfect, silent graphics card that would still leave room for my Hauppauge TV Tuner card in the PCI slot.

I found the perfect one. It seems to be the best passively cooled graphics card that only takes up one slot: XFX Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card.

It's great for the apps and games I run: GTA Vice City, Warcraft III, Sims 2 (wife), and for my Media Center.

The card does require a molex power connector which normally would have caused this card not to fit into a standard shuttle XPC case, so I modified a molex power connector to fit. (it was easy)

see more pics via the link on my profile

Here's the Newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150090

hazindu

Post by hazindu » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:37 am

Wow, there was a time when I was looking for something like that, but then I settled on just using an undervolted iceberq4 on my existing card.
btw, nice to see I'm not the only one using those voltage adapters.

cotdt

Very nice

Post by cotdt » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:25 am

Wow, just what I was looking for! How much was it and where did you buy it? Also, how well is it cooled after a long gaming session? I assume that you game on it since that's a high end card for SFF.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: The Perfect Passively Cooled Graphics Card for SFF / Shu

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:33 am

brmecham wrote: The card does require a molex power connector which normally would have caused this card not to fit into a standard shuttle XPC case, so I modified a molex power connector to fit. (it was easy)
There's a couple of 90° Molex connectors available. This type was the only one I could quickly find, but i suspect someplace like Performance-pcs, SVC or other modding-oriented online shop may have something similar.

Nice job on your system by the way!

Jeff321

Post by Jeff321 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:45 am

I have a Shuttle SB81P and so far have been using onboard video (along with my Hauppauge TV tuner in the PCI slot) but I want to now add a video card to the PCI-Express slot.

I was browsing and saw this Gigabyte Geforce 6600 256MB which doesn't seem to have one of those power connectors but I'm worried about the heatsink and everything fitting. Anybody have an idea if this card will work?

By the way, I'm getting the card to play newer games including Battlefield 2 (which doesn't support the onboard video at all), Half-Life 2, etc.

Thanks!

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:22 am

I don't see any reason why a 6600 would need a power connector. Have you tried running the card without the 4-pin connected?

pangloss

Post by pangloss » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:22 am

Like this?
Ralf Hutter wrote: There's a couple of 90° Molex connectors available. This type was the only one I could quickly find, but i suspect someplace like Performance-pcs, SVC or other modding-oriented online shop may have something similar.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:45 am

pangloss wrote:Like this?
Ralf Hutter wrote: There's a couple of 90° Molex connectors available. This type was the only one I could quickly find, but i suspect someplace like Performance-pcs, SVC or other modding-oriented online shop may have something similar.
For his vidcard application, one of these "end-cap" styles would work better.