Rush job! Need advice for small computer (SFFC)

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Steerpike

Rush job! Need advice for small computer (SFFC)

Post by Steerpike » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:55 pm

I've been a silent PC 'fan' (no pun intended!) for many years now, and was an early member of this fine forum. I've been sitting on the sidelines of the 'SFFC' world for some time, but haven't done enough research to buy yet.

However, a sudden need has arisen, and I need to buy a SFFC urgently. So - can anyone give me quick advice as to what to buy? To start off with, it just needs to be able to do basic stuff - web browsing, hard drive, USB ports, DVD drive, etc. I'd want to load XP (maybe media center?), possibly use Intel CPU (assuming they are still cooler than AMD? Speed is not critical).

Ultimately, I will want to use this as a PVR, stationed in the living room. I am leaning towards using a Hauppauge MPEG card, possibly with Sage.

If I can, I'd like to pick up the parts at my local Fry's, but if that's a no-no, I could rush-order something online.

Any advice greatly appreciated! I apologize for an un-researched request!

wisdomtooth

Post by wisdomtooth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:10 pm

Ultimately, I will want to use this as a PVR, stationed in the living room. I am leaning towards using a Hauppauge MPEG card, possibly with Sage.
You might want to think ahead a bit here... Do you want to build one of those cube-type machines for portability/space constraints or do you want something that looks like it belongs on a home theater component rack (i.e. an HTPC)?

If you want a cube, I would grab:

- a fairly current microATX board like this one: http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/News/News_617.htm
- AMD64 Socket 939 CPU to go with that board
- Silverstone Sugo SG01 cube case
- Seasonic S12-330 power supply
- Thermalright XP90 WITH NO FAN
- (your choice of components for the rest of the system).

With this setup, the Thermalright XP90 will end up about 1/4" from the Seasonic's PSU fan, so you can essentially run the CPU heatsink fanlessly.

If you want an HTPC, visit http://www.htpcnews.com and post on their forums.

HTH!

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:06 am

Well, you reminded me of yet another choice! I WAS thinking about the 'cube' syle, but ... yes, I would prefer, all things equal, a 'VCR' or 'Reciever' style case if possible. Are you saying that, for advice on that format, I would be better served over at htpcnews? I still want to focus heavily on silence.

Are the options more limited with this type of case?

Thanks!

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:31 am

im about to build my new rig, and it will in HTPC style, although i wont really be using it as such.

i really like this case:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc11.htm

with this motherboard, which btw isnt out yet. but soon:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ ... hp?UID=615

gunna use a 2ghz pentium-m processor with a zalman 7000b-alcu with a modded nexus 92mm fan on it running at 5volts.

i'll swap the stock psu fan with an 80mm nexus fan running at 5volts.

a 2.5" Seagate Momentus 5400.2 SATA drive, suspended and foam insulated, and a Plextor PX-716SA SATA optical drive.

and since this will be my main gamming rig, and not an actual HTPC case, im gunna put a 7800GT with a zalman vf700 modded with a panaflo 80x15mm fan 5volted. but you could just stick in a passive low power video card, a video capture card, and a new sound card or wireless card.

the CPU fan is going to be my only intake fan, and my psu will be the only exhaust fan. going to insulate the whole thing with acoustipak sound insulation.

------------------------------------

but thats just me and my personal suggestions.