Sun Fire T1000 Server

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Sun Fire T1000 Server

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:18 pm

hehe, not sure if it belongs in this forum, but better than the others I guess.

I saw this in an ad http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t1000/?cid=718
in an ad. It starts at $2995 supposedly which actually isn't too far off desktop prices. They have a photo of the insides there. It has 4 little fans, a passive cpu heatsink, custom PSU. I wonder what is the viability of running this with solaris as your desktop. Due to its many threads, perhaps it wouldn't be the best for a PC. Then after that, how about using the case and building your own system in there. If it could be done it would blow away the other horizontal boxes out there, lol. I guess the vidcard would be sticking out a bit. That would be pretty wicked to have your monitor sitting on this thing. People would be like what the hell is that. It's fun to think about if nothing else.

mellon

Post by mellon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:47 am

There's really no point in using a rackmount server as a PC. It is totally unpractical and noisy as hell. That CPU heatsink is definately not "passive", it relies on the whole case being a wind tunnel with lots of airflow. I've had to work at a place that had one 1U HP server nearby and the noise was unbelievable by SPCR standards.

Also, you can get rackmount empty cases easily enough if you really want one for some reason.

bobo5195

Post by bobo5195 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:56 am

It wouldnt work well as a standard desktop processor. All the cores are in order and it runs at 1.2ghz (ram bandwidth limited, on a quad channel memory controller!). You can only run it on solaris really due to the load balancing that is required.

At standard pc tasks it woudl be slow as anything, saying that chucking 16 copies of autogk its way might be fun.

Im not sure that it runs that hot, so it well pass spcr reviews.