SPCR Designed Computer Systems

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rei

Post by rei » Tue May 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Might be best to drop MikeC a PM directly.

The SPCR badge my Anitec SilenT3 comes with is quite nice. I saw some other forumgoer in the General Gallery section of the forum put one on their very nicely-painted Antec Fusion so I'm not sure how one obtains them--if MikeC gives them to donators or something.

Update: Replaced my ACTIVEly-cooled Sapphire DDR4 HD4670 (I believe it is an Arctic Cooling HSF) with a passive DDR3 HD4670 Ultimate from Sapphire as well and it runs fine.

It's strange the active one died so soon after purchase. No reflection on the T3 at all.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: SPCR Certified Systems? How did I not know about this? :

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat May 16, 2009 11:22 am

WilliamMGeorge wrote:I've been a reader of SPCR off and on for a few years now, but didn't realize there was a program for system builders to engage SPCR and collaborate on quiet computer designs. I'm from a system builder in the Seattle area, and would be very interested in more information on this if someone wants to post back here or email me.
Are you aware that one of your systems was reviewed by SPCR a few years ago?

Olaf van der Spek

Re: SPCR Designed Computer Systems

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:09 am

The vendor may offer component alternatives that differ from those used in the reference system tested by SPCR, but must ensure that their acoustic or thermal properties cause the overall noise level to rise more than 2 dBA SPL above the reference sample or beyond the SPL requirements of the certification class (ie, Silent or Quiet).
I assume this requirement is missing a NO?
Even at maximum possible load (with both video card and CPU running full tilt simultaneously), it remains very quiet.
Isn't this a bit unfair? This means extra performance can't be offered if it causes extra noise.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:14 am

Olaf van der Spek wrote:I assume this requirement is missing a NO?
Yes, you are right, thanks for catching that typo. It should read "...the overall noise level to rise NO more than 2 dBA SPL above the reference sample or beyond the SPL requirements of the certification class"
Olaf van der Spek wrote:
Even at maximum possible load (with both video card and CPU running full tilt simultaneously), it remains very quiet.
Isn't this a bit unfair? This means extra performance can't be offered if it causes extra noise.
I don't think it's unfair. The Silent PC spec allows up to 5 dBA rise between idle and max; the Quiet PC spec allows 7. The latter's max idle SPL of 20 dBA is not that hard to reach these days; if a high power gaming rig can be made to be say 15 dBA at idle (possible with the right combination of components, esp. video card cooler), then the allowable rise at max load becomes 12 dBA, which is a lot to work with.

Beside if the spec was not at least a bit of a challenge to achieve, it would be meaningless.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:08 am

Sure. But suppose we've got two PCs, A and B. B is more powerful, A is silent and B is quiet at full load. At full load performance of B is (much) higher.
But if performance of B is limited to performance achievable by A, it's quieter in all cases. Yet it doesn't qualify for the silent label.

I could write down a car analogy, but I guess I won't for now. :p

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 am

Olaf, it's not a perfect rating system, and you've identified one of the flaws... but I don't see any way around it. Very simply put, if you want the very quietest system, then you cannot have the very highest performance -- that was true 10 years ago, and it's still true today.

What I expect (and hope) is that potential buyers of SPCR certified PCs will take the time and effort to read my review as well as the certification report -- the review would always include the kind of qualitative observations that would allow the kind of insight you just made.

The other option, I guess, is to turn my review into a PDF and simply use that as the certification report. This needs further consideration.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:52 am

Note that I'm not complaining, I love your work. I wish more manufacturers would pay attention to noise.