Dell Gets Into Boutique Gaming Market

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MGP

Dell Gets Into Boutique Gaming Market

Post by MGP » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:04 am

looks like Dell is entering the realm of Alienware, VoodooPC, and Falcon NorthWest! the BENEFIT seems that Dell's "Dimension XPS" gaming rig is well-cooled, quiet, and has some interesting design features (i.e. externally-mounted powersupply on bottom of case). Take a look!

http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/sys ... ps/001.htm

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:49 pm

Hmm interesting. The power supply uses 2 40mm fans from the look of it, I dont see how it can be quiet and still move any significant amount of air. Not to mention the case still has room at the top that they should of just used a standard power supply. And the guy who did this review must be a moron because all the pictures are way too close, theres no real picture that shows how the air flow goes. Also it looks like there is no fan on the cpu, just a heatpipe heatsink and the 2 rear fans.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:03 pm

It IS fascinating to see new work from the BIG GUY! Some interesting ideas
- 120mm fans for CPU/case cooling on back panel for higher airflow without too much more noise
- PSU on bottom so heat of CPU/PSU don't combine and concentrate in the same place.
- the simple fact of Dell muscling into this sector!

Bad execution
- heatpipes are effective at moving the heat from a bad spot to a better spot where is is more easily/effectively cooled. The HP cooler looks like nothing but a marketing gimmick; why do you need heatpipes to move the heat 1"? :roll:
- 40mm fans -- dumb, dumb. Maybe they have some totally swift new bearing technology (tho I doubt it) -- but even if they did, implementing it in a larger fan would make more sense
Still would love to get my hanbds on one to examine for ideas / excution and of course rip it to... oh, I mean give it a thorough review. :wink:

MGP

Post by MGP » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:06 pm

Also it looks like there is no fan on the cpu, just a heatpipe heatsink and the 2 rear fans.
ducting, my friend GamingGod, ducting.