It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP Media Vault mv2120 Server -- US$300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 am 

Quote:
Why, in the midst of a major Windows Home Server push, would HP introduce a little Linux-based NAS at half the price? And why would HP make the $300 Media Vault mv2120 so full featured and easy that its $600-and-up MediaSmart Servers look
A) too bulky
B) too expensive
C) too overloaded
D) all of the above?
What's better than MediaSmart Windows Home Server:
• Web-based remote controls work great on Macs
• Quieter, with less drive noise on a regular basis
In the end, this product isn't just another NAS, but a bold statement that HP is making, that it doesn't have to be saddled by the rough riders of Redmond when it can build (license?) its own practically identical box at a lower cost. Now I know that there are some things that you can only do with a PC-like server running a full OS, but honestly, what are they? I mean, do most people, even die-hard server-needers, give a crap? I want to know from you folks: Why bother with Windows Home Server when the Linux-based alternatives are on the surface equally friendly, equally powerful and—oh yeah—half the cost?

http://gizmodo.com/373711/hp-media-vault-2100-linux-server-reviewed-one-kick+ass-little-penguin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:06 pm 

A somewhat more professional review

It looks like a neat product and a much more palatable price point. Also good to see a large company like HP get behind a linux package for doing this, where they might actually provide updates to the software.

MyHomeServer.com wrote:
Bonus feature: No data corruption!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:36 pm 

Avalanche wrote:
A somewhat more professional review
MyHomeServer.com wrote:
Bonus feature: No data corruption!

Nice review. I hear that, in the fullness of time, Microsoft will be able to emulate that "no data corruption" feature in their Windows Home Server OS. :lol:

Amazon (link in the cited review) has the box for $299 with free shipping. There are two fairly positive customer reviews. However, one says that it isn't SPCR quiet --
Quote:
And what about negatives? It would be nice if the device were a bit quieter when in use. The internal fan is a little distracting. That's why I would recommend placing the Media Vault in an out-of-the-way part of your home, or in a closet or cabinet with good ventilation.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2011VAW0B7IFL/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm/

I guess the placement suggestion is not unreasonable given the intended purpose and the price point. Of course, a real SPCRer will mod the fan... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:15 pm 

i've recently found myself with a copy of the WHS based mediasmart (basically a 2x height mediavault with a flexatx psu), and it is not quiet, period. i expect the mediavault is similar. OTOH, it's tiny, and low power and can be shoved pretty much anywhere. i have mine in the cabinet of a tv stand in a room i don't spend a lot of time in, and it's effectively inaudible that way completely stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi,
This is Steven. It looks like a neat product and a much more palatable price point. Also good to see a large company like HP get behind a linux package for doing this, where they might actually provide updates to the software.

=======================
steven7
visit
healthvault