Small Slim Factor Form, with Graphics Power required...

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Core8583

Small Slim Factor Form, with Graphics Power required...

Post by Core8583 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 pm

I been Looking everywhere for the a new computer after my shuttle's HDD controllers decided to pack up. So I went to Shuttle and bought a SG33G5 and a Q6600 and some ram and put it all back to together along with my Geforce 7800GTX from my old case and it was so noise i had to sell it to a Co-worker just under two weeks later. The PSU fans were just too noise.

So after a vist to my local PC world I saw a HP Slimline 33xx. I loved the loved the look of it and it's not that noisy at all, (couldn't tell that muct tho as it was sitting next to a Dell Gaming thing that would make a JET engine sound quiet, but after smacking the Monster of the Dells power cord, it suddenly turning it self off for no reason I still couldn't hear the quite Slimline system). So look at the spec's it would be the same as my old shuttle, expect the graphics card.

So I'm looking for one of two things.

Can anyone find a Slim Factor Form about the same size as a HP slimline that can take a full height PCI-E x16 graphics card (Looking at a 8600GT which isn't that long) or can i get a good low profile Graphics card = or just under the same Performance of my Geforce 7800GTX.

Please Help I need to game again soon.

practal

Post by practal » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:38 am

I dont know of any slim cases that take full height pci-e cards . You might be able to make it work if you find a case that supports riser cards.

You can get a low profile 8600GT, the fastest low profile card from Nvidia. I know of 3 available: POV(European compay, Ive never seen one in the US), MSI (hard to find in US, uses DDR2), and the 8600gt (Uses DDR3 availalbe from NCIX).

ATIs fastest LP card is the 2600XT which I have only seen from VisionTek(available at TigerDirect). You also now have the option of hybrid crossfire. I doubt itll compare to the cards I mentioned but it is a low cost low profile solution. If your looking to do light gaming at a low res 780G+3450 might be all you need.

If you cant find a case with risers that supports full sized cards or dont want to pay the premiums for the LP cards, you can always buy a riser card and a dremel.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake » Sat May 31, 2008 4:27 pm

MSI's Hetis/G33 takes full height x16 cards. Unfortunately, at least from my perspective, it only has a 200w PSU.