Using onboard video to drive a TV

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mosalmo

Using onboard video to drive a TV

Post by mosalmo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm

Hello all, thanks for everything I have learned on this forum. I want to build an always on low power box for tv recording, playback and storage. I cant find info on a couple of things.
Is it possible to use onboard video to drive a regular TV which has S video and component video inputs. Seems like I need an adaptor and cant find what I need. I want to use the tv to play back shows and also be my monitor. Really want to avoid the video card to keep power low.
Also, my desktop uses an AMD be2350 rated at 45 watts. I see single core chips like the le 1650 that should use less power but are also rated at 45 watts. Will the le chips save on power significantly over the dual core chips?
Thanks for your help

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:53 am

Are you talking about trying to use a motherboard you already have or are you planning to buy a new one? I think you can still find some motherboards based on last year's 690G chipset that come with S-Video out. If it is for an existing MB, you can buy a VGA to S-Video cable for < $10, but your video driver needs to support NTSC output for this to work. A more universal solution would be something like this, but for the same or less money you could just add an older discrete video card with S-Video out and have a more elegant solution.

mosalmo

new motherboard, not an old board

Post by mosalmo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks for the response. I will have to look a little harder, I cant find new boards anymore with S video out, which would work well.