is this the answer to what I have been looking for

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

my-pc-is-too-loud

is this the answer to what I have been looking for

Post by my-pc-is-too-loud » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:51 am

Asus P2-M3A3200

Asus info here

looks like its got it all but is it quiet....

overclockersclub says its quiet but how quiet is that the reason I am asking is that it looks like a decent case / mobo combination and I have seen it for only 120quid (that is GB Pounds)

All ideas welcome, also alternatives would be great....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Very doubtful that it's quiet. The spec sheet itself cites "Idle mode: 31dB" -- which we have to assume is 31 dBA/1m -- above our minimum standard for "not noisy" -- ie, 30 dBA/1m or less.

I'd suggest other answers, but it's not clear what your question is. Give us the role you want your PC to play and we can make suggestions.

In general, in the UK, there are a handful or quiet PC makers --

Tranquil PC -- http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/
PaQ -- http://www.paqt.co.uk/index.html
others.... check the UK sticky in Deals, Vendors and Classifieds

my-pc-is-too-loud

Post by my-pc-is-too-loud » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:41 pm

thanks mike, sorry was not very specific...

I am looking to build an HTPC and I am a bit tight on budget and space ...

will follow that up, I cannot believe I missed the data on the noise, thanks for the spot and for the links

SleepyBum

Post by SleepyBum » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:44 pm

I had one of these Asus Pundit models, and they're not quite at all. Actually, to me it was very loud, I had to give it to a friend.

The problem is the low profile and tight space of the system. It has a small low profile CPU heatsink and a 70mm fan which draws air in from the top (the holes you see in that picture). The fan runs around 3500rpm, so it's pretty loud. There was no speed controls in the BIOS to slow the fan down.

Also it uses a non-standard PSU with a 60mm fan that's also makes some noise. I'm sure if you were to do a bit of modding, resistoring the fans, you could quiet it down. But out of the box, it's not quiet at all.