Dell GX270 guts in LC17 case?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SilentJ20

Dell GX270 guts in LC17 case?

Post by SilentJ20 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:03 pm

I have a Dell GX270 mid-tower pc functioning as my htpc at the moment. I will be ordering a Silverstone LC17 that I wish to swap the internals into. Has anyone accomplished anything similar? I know things are bound to be different with motherboard mounting and possibly power supply installation. I do have a different pc that I could play "musical computer parts" with in order to make it all work. As my desktop, I have a self-built pc of identical specs as the GX270, but I'd like to avoid doing a complete computer swap, if I can. Will the Dell parts mount semi-easily in a third party case, or am I in for a futile battle? Thanks,

SilentJ20

Post by SilentJ20 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 am

Well, after doing some research, I've decided to go a different route. I will swap positions with my home-built desktop pc and the Dell GX270 HTPC. That way, with the home-built as the htpc, I should have no problem fitting things into a different case. I may even be able to do it with just a hard drive swap (and other relevant components, such as tuners) as the desktop and htpc do not only have nearly identical specs, but actual identical specs, right down to the chipset.

If you have any advice or other info, please feel free to post in this thread, but I consider this issue resolved.