Shuttle XPC or Antec Aria for silent 24/7 media/fileserver?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SlaveToSilence

Shuttle XPC or Antec Aria for silent 24/7 media/fileserver?

Post by SlaveToSilence » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 am

which of these would be best for a small, cool, low power consumption machine (pref. without having to undervolt) set to be on 24/7 for heavy internet and simultaneously playing HD media through 46" lcd? will have a 120w pico psu, 1 hdd and no optical drive and hope to use 120mm fans only if possible
can be modded but nothing too extreme (limited tools, dremel)

with the Aria and MATX, can we use all the CPU coolers we would with ATX? are the sockets the same and just the motherboard smaller?

is it possible to cut the shuttle back so a 120mm fan can be used? (cut into psu space as it wont be there)

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:22 am

Hello

A build like my old build might be a good option for you.

Not much modding required.
- Remove original PSU
- Cut fan grill in back (not really required)
- Remove drive bay to make room for huge heatsinks.

A Shuttle strikes me as somewhat hard to mod for better cooling but im not sure if it can be done as easy as cutting a hole in the back for a 120mm fan.

Using a Aria/NSK13xx you can choose motherboard freely which is not possible with the Shuttles.

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:30 am

wow thats beautiful man, certainly the nicest SFF iv ever seen! :o

you've sealed the deal with that, will go with the aria or similar, what are all the different names/makes/models? i know theres aria and nsk1300 but are there others?

Thank :D

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:35 am

SlaveToSilence wrote:wow thats beautiful man, certainly the nicest SFF iv ever seen! :o

you've sealed the deal with that, will go with the aria or similar, what are all the different names/makes/models? i know theres aria and nsk1300 but are there others?

Thank :D

Aria -> NSK1300 -> NSK1380 (same as NSK1300 but with 80+ PSU)