Want a fanless PC to use as a private server with OS Win2003

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

christy

Want a fanless PC to use as a private server with OS Win2003

Post by christy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi !

I want to have a server at home. It should be able to run Windows 2003.

Because I am living in an apartment, I am looking for a silent PC, a fanless PC.

So I am looking for a good fanless PC server.
Do you have any hardware recommendation ?

I have searched on the Web, but I was disappointed by the few offers of fanless PC server able to run Win2003.

The only think I have see is: Deltatronic Silentium
Are there any competitors ?

Thanks Chris

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Chris,

Before we can answer your questions, please tell us more about your requirements. Do you want a pre-built machine, or are you happy to build one yourself? What CPU and RAM requirements do you have? How many hard disks and what size do they need to be?

Bruce.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Welcome to SPCR!!

To me a "server" is a densely packed rack of multi core, multi hdd,redundant PSUs, minimum 8 gigs of ram machines.

Other people say "server" and they really mean a NAS or DAS.

What do you need to serve? Website? DataBase?Media?Terminal server? all of the above? or something completely different...

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:30 pm

in general, a single, slow moving fan will make a machine consume less wattage than no fan at all would consume.

that's something to think about.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Fayd wrote:in general, a single, slow moving fan will make a machine consume less wattage than no fan at all would consume.

Eh? Indeed. I have no idea what that means. Why would adding a fan make the system use less power?
christy wrote:I have searched on the Web, but I was disappointed by the few offers of fanless PC server able to run Win2003.
Is there a reason you need Windows 2003? I might recommend getting a Windows Home Server. It is essentially Win2003 with the Home Server Console added on, similar to how Windows MCE was XP Home with Media Center added on. It's a very good option for the networked home as it ties all machines together and offers central storage, automated client backups, file redundancy options.

HP has their MediaSmart Server line. You can configure them with more storage, memory, and faster processor than the basic configuration. They are pretty small (not standard ATX size) and have limited space for additional HDD storage, but they are pretty cheap for what they offer.

christy

Post by christy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:32 am

Thanks for your feedback, here is more details about what I am looking to do:
Do you want a pre-built machine, or are you happy to build one yourself?
A pre-built machine is ok for me, as I currently have no PC spare parts. I am also happy with one to build myself .
What CPU and RAM requirements do you have ?
I would like 4GB of RAM and a CPU dual core 2 duo. But I am very open for other options.
How many hard disks and what size do they need to be?
I would need at least 640GB, but 1500GB would nice to have.
To me a "server" is a densely packed rack of multi core, multi hdd,redundant PSUs, minimum 8 gigs of ram machines.
You're right, but in my case, the number of concurrent connections will be very small: only me, my girlfriend and sometimes 1 or 2 friends, that's all. This is a server, in the sense that it will be on 24h/24 7d/7. It will be a personal server.
Other people say "server" and they really mean a NAS or DAS.
Yes, I will use this server to store pictures, documents, music, ... But I will not do only that, that's why a NAS or DAS is not what I am looking for.
What do you need to serve? Website? DataBase?Media?Terminal server? all of the above?
Since it is the 1st server I will ever have, the usage is not completely defined yet and will evolve when using it. But here is what I will do as soon as I get it:
- share files, music and access them from home and from outside home
- backup my laptop on it
- a printer server
Then quickly after:
- install a few applications on it that I can access from everywhere using remote desktop via the web interface client
- install a private sharepoint app to manage shopping list and all sort of lists like this
- ... to be defined when I get more experience with it
Is there a reason you need Windows 2003? I might recommend getting a Windows Home Server.
Good question. Are there any things that can be done with Windows Home server that can NOT be done with Windows 2003 (with some MS add-on or third-party add-on)?
The reason I am going for Win2003, is that I have already used a bit Win2003 at my work.. and I have never used Win Home Server. The other reason is that I do not want to be limited with the way I will use this server because I know I will have other usage of it with getting more experience: one of it is installing sharepoint, installing applications and using remote desktop.

HP has their MediaSmart Server line
I am afraid this home server might be noisy (?).

Strid

Post by Strid » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:07 am

Well, to be honest, a complete fanless PC with the specs you have put down is almost impossible. Not only that, but just one hard drive will usually draw more noise than a good quiet fan. I would suggest something in the lines of this:

AMD 780G µATX motherboard + 4850e CPU
ThermalRight HR-01 Plus/Scythe Ninja 2 passive HSF
PicoPSU
Your µATX case of choice
4 GB of RAM
One Scyte/Nexus exhaust fan at 650 RPM
1 TB hard drive in a Scythe Quiet Drive, resting on foam.

This should be really quiet and easy enough to cool off of one fan.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:35 pm

jhhoffma wrote:
Fayd wrote:in general, a single, slow moving fan will make a machine consume less wattage than no fan at all would consume.

Eh? Indeed. I have no idea what that means. Why would adding a fan make the system use less power?
mosfets lose efficiency as the junction temp increases, this is probably what he is referring to.

christy

Post by christy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:15 am

I understand this is difficult to find a fanless computer with this spec.

I have seen this: http://www.deltatronic.de/int/pc/index.html

It does seem to match the spec, but I do you know if there are other companies offering similar product to compare ?

joelmusicman

Post by joelmusicman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Another thing to consider carefully is if it really needs to be fanless... With a wireless card, you could put a quiet computer in a closet since you're planning to RDP into it.

Besides, fanless retail computers are big $$$ (at least for the performance you get).