It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Silencing Silverstone SUGO01
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:47 pm 

Hi, I have succeeded to make this baby a bit quieter, so I decided to share the experience.

The first noisemaker was the HDD, so I used the widely known trick of hanging it on the loundry rubbers in the 5.25 bay - worked.

Then came the CPU+PSU bunch. I have a fortron epsilon 700 Watt piece, which is quite okay expect the fan could do better. It has a 12 cm fan blowing inside the PSU - as expected. Those familiar with SUGO01 know the CPU is located right below the PSU.

I have purchased a nexus PWM fan and replaced the original PSU fan with it, except I have mounted it upside-down, so it was blowing outside the PSU instead. Then I have bought a lousy CPU cooler with a bulky radiator (Arctic cooling 7 LP). I have connected the nexus fan to the CPU fan socket on the motherboard, while the arctic cooling fan remains disconnected (yes, I know this is lame, a dedicated radiator would do better). Now the PSU mounted nexus blows on the CPU radiator and is controlled through CPU temperature monitoring.

The resulting temperature is:
idle: 40'C, nexus at 950 rpm
load: 55'C, nexus at 1500 rpm (C2D 7300@3.2GHz)

I have no idea whether this setup is dangerous for the PSU but I didn't notice it getting any hot. The HOT thing is my GPU (EVGA 8800GTS 320MB) getting to 80 easily, guess the total flow is not ideal atm.

The full setup:
Silverstone SUGO01F, Asus P5Q-EM, 4GB OCZ DDR2, C2D7300@3.2GHz, EVGA 8800GTS 320MB, Seagate 7200.11 500MB

hope it helps someone,

michal