MSI Wind "Nettop"

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ebeighe

MSI Wind "Nettop"

Post by ebeighe » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:05 pm

I can’t exactly find it on the MSI website, but this one is pretty close.
<link not allowed> (sry, i am not permitted to post links)
except that the one i got has the N330 Atom, though.

MSI claims “Ultra Quietâ€

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Have you tried SpeedFan?

ebeighe

Post by ebeighe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:26 am

jessekopelman wrote:Have you tried SpeedFan?
ah, good question. Yes and no. I've tried it on my MSI Wind *notebook* -- it reads the temperatures just fine, but doesn't "see" any fan.

can you tell me -- what "should" speedfan be able to do? i mean, is it supposed to be able to allow me to control the fan's speed? ...sounds reasonable :-)

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:00 pm

ebeighe wrote:
jessekopelman wrote:Have you tried SpeedFan?
ah, good question. Yes and no. I've tried it on my MSI Wind *notebook* -- it reads the temperatures just fine, but doesn't "see" any fan.

can you tell me -- what "should" speedfan be able to do? i mean, is it supposed to be able to allow me to control the fan's speed? ...sounds reasonable :-)
Yes, it should allow you to control the fan's speed. A common use is when the BIOS fan control is not working the way you want. Unfortunately, Speedfan needs to be able to "see" your fan to control it :(

Since Speedfan doesn't work, the next thing to try might be to yank the fan from the motherboard connector and power it from some sort of manual fan control (eg Zalman Fanmate), which is in turn connected directly to the PSU. Various X-pin to Y-pin adapters would probably be required. This way you would at least get the continuous speed state you desired.

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:17 pm

I just built one of these for my mother....spiffy little machine and the dual core is great. And you can dress it our for like $250, XP included. The PSU is an external small brick, so the fan and HDD are the sound sources , but the supplied fan is the tougher problem. My next one, I think I will splice in a second fan for intake and undervolt them to the min with fan mates.