Help needed - choosing a low cost, quiet HTPC

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Atragon

Help needed - choosing a low cost, quiet HTPC

Post by Atragon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Unfortunately for me, I just discovered that my previous HTPC is well and truely dead, random freezes while navigating Windows even after an OS reinstall.

So, I need a replacement. Unfortunately, my budget is minimal, so I need some help in choosing the lowest cost option that meets my needs.

The system I'm replacing is an:
Athlon XP-M 2500+
DFI LanParty NF2
1GB PC3200
Radeon 9800 Pro
Hauppauge Win-TV PVR-500

Bottom line, here's what I need:
1) Fits the PVR-500 (full height PCI slot)
2) Can drive a 1920x1200 monitor via DVI
3) Can playback 1080p content. While recording /w the PVR-500
4) Can output 5.1 audio via SPDIF
5) Quiet

As you may notice, I haven't listed a storage requirement as I'm storing my files on a NAS device, and I haven't listed an OS since I've got a license for Windows 7 available for it. I also did notput gaming on that list since I won't be using it for that, the only reason I mention the 9800 pro is that I need something that can support oddball widescreen resolutions, my current TV is a CRT HDTV.

Ideally I'd like to buy a pre-built and slap my TV tuner in. If this isn't possible, I can look at building my own.

Again, low cost is good. I want quiet and cheap. It doesn't have to be small, I've got a full up medium tower for my HTPC right now.

Thank you.

Edit: It turns out that while I need SPDIF out, it doesn't have to be coax, I can buy a ~$12 converter that goes from optical to coax quite easily.

Edit 2: If it makes things cheaper overall, I don't object to buying a new TV tuner, however it needs to support s-video input.

Steeeeve

Post by Steeeeve » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:57 am

Are you looking for a case or kind of everything?

What kinda case did you want as this is sometimes determined by your spacing needs. For example, did you want the SFF box type case (looks like a big shoe box), did you want something that looks like a receiver like the SilverStone Grandia GD05?

Lots of options :)

Atragon

Post by Atragon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:30 pm

I don't care about size, as I said, I've got an ATX system in a mid tower case at the moment, so any size that fits my needs is fine. (recall, full-height PCI slot for existing tuner, or cost savings sufficient to buy a replacement tuner).

Ideally the system would also have an optical drive.