It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Advice for quiet SFF build
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:41 am 

Having just finished getting my tower as quiet as I like a month ago, I have decided that I don't like how big it is (Antec P150). I will be going back to school soon and will most likely be in an itty bitty apartment where space (even perceived space) will be at a premium. Listed below are all the components that I would like to fit into a smaller, preferably SFF case if possible. I of course want it as quiet as I can get it (near silence from my P150), and not melt everything.

Q6600 G0 stepping
4x1 gb ddr2 ram (gskill with heat spreaders)
4850 with an accelero 1 rev 2
200gb samsung hdd
and a yet to be determined BD rom drive (recommendations welcome).
I also have a silverstone strider 700w psu that has been modded with a 120mm slipstream that I can use in a case that takes fullsized psus

I have toyed with the idea of going mini-itx with a zotac 9300 board, but I am not sure if any mini-itx cases would accomodate a modded full sized video card. I would love to be proved wrong though :)

For matx, I like the look of the Silverstone SG01, but have read of heat problems or noise problems when using 3 80mm fans.

I am happy to try a shuttle if there is one that can accomdate my accelero and it can be made very quiet.

This will be on my desktop so I am looking for the smallest footprint I can fit my stuff into.

I am thinking of a budget of about $250 for the new mobo, heatsink, and case. I might skip the BD drive for now to keep costs down.

I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give!

edit: I probably won't be gaming too much so I would consider dropping down in grade on my video card. I will be encoding and decoding HD movies, and photoshop/3d design work primarily so I may start off with onboard video to see if that cuts it for me. If needed I can look for a factory quiet/silent card that meets my needs. I would still prefer for my case to be able to accommodate a full sized card if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 pm 

the SG05 would fit an itx and 9.6" cards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:29 pm 

akromatic wrote:
the SG05 would fit an itx and 9.6" cards

But not with an Accelero S1 on it, which turns it into a 3-slot card, maybe even a 4-slot card with fan(s) attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 am 

if i recall correctly the accelero when installed takes 2 slots only and 3 if you install a fan

but since its a HD4850 it can be run passively so it should be fine