How would you improve on Pudget's Serenity i7?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zerodB

How would you improve on Pudget's Serenity i7?

Post by zerodB » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:08 am

Hey guys,

I'm building a new box and read the Pudget Serenity i7 article on SPCR ( http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1052-page1.html ) - and it is almost exactly what I'm building (minus the HDD, I'm only putting an SSD in it). What would you change about the Pudget system? Probably a different CPU heatsink (I'm trying to make it as passive/silent as possible) - same PSU? Thanks!

netmask254

Re: How would you improve on Pudget's Serenity i7?

Post by netmask254 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:35 pm

zerodB wrote:Hey guys,

I'm building a new box and read the Pudget Serenity i7 article on SPCR ( http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1052-page1.html ) - and it is almost exactly what I'm building (minus the HDD, I'm only putting an SSD in it). What would you change about the Pudget system? Probably a different CPU heatsink (I'm trying to make it as passive/silent as possible) - same PSU? Thanks!
I would use Thermalright HR02 to further remove one CPU fan (unless you are using a very hot CPU). PSU can be replaced by X-650 which doesn't have fan spin up in low load. The other parts are excellent.

colin2

Post by colin2 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:42 pm

ditto netmask. You can probably also drop the fan by the HDD and SSD, especially because you're omitting the HDD.

Start with just the case fan, a good passive CPU sink, and something like the X-650, and then let Speedfan tell you whether you need more fans.

I doubt the acoustipak would do very much for this build.

Oh and it's Puget as in Puget Sound which is just over the hill from me, though "Pudget" sounds kind of cute.

zerodB

Post by zerodB » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Hah, funny misspelling.
I assumed that since the PSU was designed for the p183 and similar cases that it would perform better. Now that I'm checking out the X-650, reviews seem to be saying that there are newer/better Seasonic PSUs (X-750 etc). How about it? Oh, and the HR-02 doesn't come with a duct for the rear case fan - should I just try to make one?

Also, I'll probably get a different motherboard unless you think the fan controls on that one are somehow superior. The only other difference is two passive Geforce 240s, which usually shouldn't be under high load. I'm pretty sure the p183 comes with a rear and top fan - should I replace one or both of these? If so, then with what fan?

Thanks for the input guys!

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:07 pm

zerodB wrote:Hah, funny misspelling.
I assumed that since the PSU was designed for the p183 and similar cases that it would perform better. Now that I'm checking out the X-650, reviews seem to be saying that there are newer/better Seasonic PSUs (X-750 etc). How about it? Oh, and the HR-02 doesn't come with a duct for the rear case fan - should I just try to make one?

Also, I'll probably get a different motherboard unless you think the fan controls on that one are somehow superior. The only other difference is two passive Geforce 240s, which usually shouldn't be under high load. I'm pretty sure the p183 comes with a rear and top fan - should I replace one or both of these? If so, then with what fan?

Thanks for the input guys!
Regarding CP-850, it's a great PSU (@its price), but Seasonic X series is better on the efficiency and noise part. Yes, they updated their product line this year to X-560, X-660, X-760, including fanless models X-400 & X-460. I ordered one X-400 on the way.

HR02 doesn't need a fan duct, since it's already very close (thanks to the asymmetry design) to the rear fan (<1 inch) and has very good fanless performance. The distance depends on platform, for example, it's <5mm for old LGA775, while it's longer for LGA1156. You can search for some reviews.

Generally I will fix the fan speed (e.g. 800rpm), thus I don't have comments on fan control. P183's fan is poor, you need to replace them with some others (such like Scythe's SFLEX series).

Regarding VGA card, I really don't have good idea. I always think for silencers, we'd better use single low-end VGA card (such like HD5670, at most HD5750), otherwise the cooling can be a big problem (there is no good air flow for it).

However, we're talking about some approaches to be extremely silent (i.e. single fan for the system). I admit it's not necessary for many people (no need to be fanless for CPU & VGA).

zerodB

Post by zerodB » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:26 pm

The only PSU from the new Seasonic X series I can find is the X-460. Do you think it would be safe for this system (with one or two case fans)?

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:32 pm

zerodB wrote:The only PSU from the new Seasonic X series I can find is the X-460. Do you think it would be safe for this system (with one or two case fans)?
As I know, X-560/660/760 are not available on market.

I don't know whether the fanless model is safe for you.

Since you are using P18X case which has a separate chamber for PSU. The non-fanless version such like X-650 is good enough. The fan doesn't spin up until 200~300W, I don't think your configuration will use that power even in CPU Burn + GPU Burn.

twitch

Post by twitch » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks for the tip on HR-02, seems heavy, but the cooling #'s are impressive from the review. Don't plan to OC and machine will probably be idle most of the time (htpc + nas using upcoming sandy bridge); planning to pair this with seasonic x400 fanless. Can't decide on some quiet 120mm case fans

EDIT: So you guys really think acoustipak wouldn't make much of a difference???

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:15 pm

The case already has lots of damping in the side panels. The foam really doesn't add anything.

The main thing I'd recommend that hasn't already been said is to stick in a baffle to separate the GPU portion of the system from the CPU/memory portion and remove some of the PCI panels to improve airflow from the GPU.

Also, it's not clear to me that they did anything to improve the inlet airflow at the front panel. The Antec P18x cases are notorious for having lots of air outlet cross section but basically no inlet airflow. A Kama Bay works well to solve this.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 am

zerodB wrote:The only PSU from the new Seasonic X series I can find is the X-460. Do you think it would be safe for this system (with one or two case fans)?
Yes it would be. Especially since the fanned PSU was put in their design to provide airflow for a hard drive you are omitting.

Now as to the change I'd make, I'd be using a motherboard with AMD 880G chipset (55nm 2nd quarter, 2010 (codename RS880P) 18 W TDP) and SB850 (65nm 2010). And then pick a CPU to go with it, dunno maybe AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX.

It'd cut a few hundred dollars off the cost vs the Intel route.