Entirely passively cooled PC setup, easily made yourself

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Neuzel

Entirely passively cooled PC setup, easily made yourself

Post by Neuzel » Sat May 19, 2012 2:15 pm

See this description how to create an entirely passively cooled desktop PC using standard components and some simple materials. http://www.neuzel.com/silentpc/howtobuild.php.

Lsv

Re: Entirely passively cooled PC setup, easily made yourself

Post by Lsv » Sat May 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Neuzel wrote:See this description how to create an entirely passively cooled desktop PC using standard components and some simple materials. http://www.neuzel.com/silentpc/howtobuild.php.
I really don't like the duct tape on his PC. It makes his setup seem amateur... even if it works.

edh

Re: Entirely passively cooled PC setup, easily made yourself

Post by edh » Sat May 19, 2012 11:38 pm

While a fully passively cooled computer is the holy grail, this is taking a few too many shortcuts to achieving it and the result I can't say would be something I'd want to run. There is no case for a start! This has been done quite a few times before.

Where I would start improving is to stand the mobo on edge with the backplate facing upwards. Then you have no obstruction to intake and can run the chimney over a tower cooler rather than a top down cooler. You can also install a mid range graphics card with an S1 Plus with ducting attached to create a second chimney taking advantage of the new orientation. The power supply can then sit to the side at the expansion slot end of the motherboard and this orientation would then allow a proper case to be built around these components. If you do not require a discrete graphics card then moving to a PicoPSU would be better as you are well within that power range.