I need an advice about some PC comonents

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pijavka

I need an advice about some PC comonents

Post by pijavka » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Hello guys!

I started to build a new computer. And I need some advice, a comment about my hardware. I want that my PC will be silent as possible. I've chose so far the following components:

Motherboard: Asrock z68 pro3
Processor: i-5 2500k
Ram: Corsair Corsair XMS3 8 GB 1600 MHz
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120 GB
Harddisk: Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB 7.2
Case: Fractal design R3
Optical unit: DVD Sony Optiarc 24x

Why such decision?
I checked your tests and I almost took NZXT H2 - mostly because of USB 3.0 and good mark of course, but luckily Fractal Design released USB 3.0 kit:
http://www.fractal-design.com/index.php ... ct&prod=62
So, another dilemma solved.
Processor and motherboard are quite OK.

I have some doubts about these components:
PSU: Sharkoon 460W or Sharkoon 550W or NesteQ ASM-XZero 500W
Graphic card: Gigabyte GV-R677SL-1GD
CPU cooler and fan
other fans in case

Have someone any experience with those PSUs?
Sharkoon got quite good mark, nesteq also. Another recommendation?

I haven't played games so far, but now may be I'll try a game or two. But usually no. Is this graphic card good choice?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3861#ov

Is stock cooler and fan OK? I mean quiet? Or do you recommend something else? I will probably overclock my processor.

Do I need other fans in case?

Comments?

I've seen this post (boring but silent)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62962&hilit=boring
I like it!

Thank you!

Scrooge

Re: I need an advice about some PC comonents

Post by Scrooge » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:21 am

Hi! Welcome to SPCR!

About your components - I'd suggest rethinking your PSU selection and going with a Seasonic, or one of the other brands reviewed on this site. I don't know where those two you mentioned got high marks, but it wasn't SPCR, and that's the only place I'd really trust to judge the noise of a PSU.

I don't know about the video card; check in that subforum.

On the CPU cooler, if you want quiet it's not for you, especially if you plan to overclock (and the pushpins are absurd anyway). You'll probably want a big tower cooler, which the R3 should have space for - Megahelems, Ninja3, or HR-02 Macho would be great choices.

And FYI, the R3 isn't really what's meant by "small form factor" around here, so you might ask a moderator to move the thread over to the System Advice / Troubleshooting forum.

markanini

Post by markanini » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:48 am

I'm aganst the idea of passively cooled graphics cards when you can get have much better thermals by using a good heatsink and a fan at inaudible RPMs. Also that way if you want better graphics you wont have to limit yourself. There's quite some discussion on mid-to-high end graphics card choices on this forum, feel free to do a search as I don't pay attention. :lol: Did you get the Pro3 already? Mine has the VRMs running a bit hot but it's really an entry model so it's within specs for non-OC. Define R3 is a nice case, not as good build quality as Antec but certainly manageable and makes for a silent build. For case fans you should only need one intake and one exast fan, Scythe Slipstream is a popular option right now. Not sure if the Spinpoint 7200 is silent, some older version were. HDD options might be limited and costly right now due to the floods in Thailand. +1 On what Scrooge said.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Apart from Seasonic, Enermax also make virtually silent PSU's, so do Nexus (at least the NX-5000 is). Bear in mind that PSU's from the Corsair AX are based on the Seasonic X-series, and those are also virtually silent. The fans only ramp up when power consumption has reached a certain level. Or Kingwin Lazer 550 W.

What games do you intend to play?

Do you have any other questions?