new mac mini... or something else?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

marispiper

new mac mini... or something else?

Post by marispiper » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 am

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new readymade computer in the UK.

I am thinking of getting this mac mini

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mountain Lion

Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Maximum continuous power: 85W
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -40° to 116° F (-40° to 47° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
Typical acoustical performance, sound pressure level (operator position): 4
Dual-core model: 12 dBA at idle

I want a quiet pc but it doesn't have to be absolutley silent so I'd likely have lower requirements than many of you on this forum.

At the moment I use a (2004 model I think) HP-compaq dc7100. Known as a reasonably quiet machine at the time it's small form factor but I keep it on the floor under the desk so that my ears are as far away as possible from it. The level of noise of this is fine for me.

There are online places that sell quiet pcs in the UK - quietpc.co.uk and tranquil pc. However all their models are more expensive than the £499 mac mini. The cheapest model at quietpc.co.uk (serenity value) is £575 and is also a tower pc. I definitely am drawn to the nice small size of the mini. I'm not especially an Apple fan -- this would be my first apple product - but I do like the size and the specs as long as it doesn't get too nosiy when it's not at idle. Does anyone know what the latest mac mini is like noise wise?

http://www.arbico.co.uk/Silent-Quiet-PCs-p-1-c-403.html do some cheaper quiet models but again they are towers and I would rather have something with a much smaller footprint.

Or does anyone know of any other small sized computer I can get in the UK that's quiet and equivalent to the mini? I am definitely leaning towards the mini as long as it's quiet enough for me.

Many thanks

CA_Steve

Re: new mac mini... or something else?

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm getting a 2012 Mac Mini in about two weeks. Can I answer you then? :D

marispiper

Post by marispiper » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Ooh yes. That will be really interesting to know. I'll definitely check back then. Thanks.

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Post by Delta_42 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:25 am

Can I blow my own trumpet...

We've just launched a small, silent PC that might be of interest.

It has no moving parts (we use a 120Gb SSD as standard) and is completely silent, can be specced with anything from a Pentium through to the dual-core i5 and is available with or without Windows.

I'd happily give a fellow SPCR member a bit of a discount or a free memory upgrade or something.

Please feel free to get in touch if you want to know more.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 pm

I picked up the Mac Mini today - same build as your spec. The very short version is it's pretty quiet. In my silent house in a suburban/rural area (very little outside noise leaking in) I can hear the fans whirring softly. Disk drive seek is noticable but not loud. The Mac is sitting on my desk maybe 2.5-3ft away. Haven't had a chance to stress it to see how loud the fans get, yet. It is an efficient beast - idles at 7-8W.

marispiper

Post by marispiper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 am

Thanks for your post, delta, although I think I may stick with the mini.

Cheers that's good to know, Steve, thanks.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:50 pm