If Intel would make the NUC a few inches taller...

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

capecodbackup

If Intel would make the NUC a few inches taller...

Post by capecodbackup » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:55 pm

and put an i5 in it, I would add a nice Noctua fan and have the PERFECT computer. Also just big enough for a 2.5 SSD so one would have more options. It would still be the smallest computer around :)

Small, quiet, powerful. A man can dream :)

Jay

Re: If Intel would make the NUC a few inches taller...

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Totally agree. Got the NUC, G. Skill 16 GB ram, Crucial m4 256GB Msata drive, and Intel 6235 WLAN/Bluetooth card.

Also got the Noctua 80mm fan, Antec Veris Remote (to integrate the small USB remote board) and 2 - 2TB 2.5in WD MY Passport drives (the ones with built onto the drive USB).

I am planning on a custom hardwood case approximate 5x5x5in hardwood cube to put all the above in. Should be a neat and fun HTPC project.

The NUCs have a bunch of neat possible uses. Beyond HTPCs, I could see a small car PC and a small portable VM ESXI server for demo use.

Jay

capecodbackup

Re: If Intel would make the NUC a few inches taller...

Post by capecodbackup » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Nice little project. Congrats! I just like a small, quiet yet super fast computer that has a huge thermal envelope so I do not have to worry about heat ever no matter what.

I am very curious to see what other companies do with this form factor.

Lately I have been pondering this: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.p ... 97&area=en

On the big side, but can use a regular PSU with a nice 120mmm fan for quiet and a nice slow chip fan too. I even wondered about passive CPU as the 180 built in fan points down ?? And also I canto keep $$$ down. use my i7 and current RAM ans SSD to move over so to keep $$$ down.

I will ponder for awhile.