What's the quietest computer I can buy in Vancouver?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ist.martin

What's the quietest computer I can buy in Vancouver?

Post by ist.martin » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:27 am

Do I buy a MAC? A laptop? A MAC laptop? (Are MAC laptops even quiet?) Do I mail order a silent PC system from a specialty house (with XP Pro)? Do I go to Frontier in Vancouver and get them to do it? Do I order from someone else?

I am looking for a new system, and all I really care about is that it is silent and reliable. I don't care about power, as my typical computer use is to have 12-14 browsers open at once, with a couple running streaming Java applets. I am perfectly happy with the performance of my current system, which is 6 years old and runs at a fraction of the speed of the slowest modern CPU's. I have 512M RAM and a cable-modem to get all the performance that I require. I also need it to work 6 X 16 with high reliablility (my current system has been running 7 X 24 without a hitch for 6 years, running NT 4.0).

I would like to be able to run dual monitor, but would the appropriate graphics card make a lot of noise?

I don't care about size, looks, shape or price - just silence and reliability.

I have no interest in tweaking myself, I just want it to be as quiet as possible right out of the box. Suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any help.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:11 pm

This might be a good place to start looking!
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... 129&page=1

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:53 am

the graphics card can be a matrox 450 or somesuch which comes without a fan :-)