It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: GPU watercooling?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:45 pm 

Hi all, I just did a search of this subforum for "GPU", both post titles only and first post body content, and got zero results. Am I doing it wrong or is there actually no discussion on liquid cooling of GPUs?

I ask because it seems much of the engine noise in high-performance rigs is coming from the small-diameter high-frequency onboard GPU fans. Whereas CPU fans can be replaced with much larger, slower but higher-throughput ones, it's more difficult to do that GPU fans, one because there's often no room in the PCIe expansion board area, and two b/c it voids the manufacturer warranty.

I see there have been a few SPCR articles in the past of GPU liquid cooling kits, but none very recent (NZT Kraken and Arctic Accelero from 2014 seem to be the latest). What's the current state of GPU liquid cooling and why the apparent lack of discussion on it?

Post subject: Re: GPU watercooling?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:26 am 

Water cooling is generally not the best way to a quiet computer as a pump will always make some noise and this applies to graphics cooling too.

Also aftermarket air coolers are good enough that there is not much need. You can cool 130W passively with an Accelero S3 and if you need more, add fans. Why is it an issue that you might take up another expansion slot? What else might you do with the expansion slot?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:02 pm 

Todays gpus, even high end, if you chose carefully, you will end up with quiet setup. Brands that have been quiet over last 3 gens have been MSI, to some point Asus, now a days EVGA, Palit and Zotac are doing good jobs on quiet operation on their latest gpus, but not on all models you do need to chose carefully.

Now is there are a place for water on quiet computing? definitely, but to me is on SLI of high end cards, where air starts to suffer due to the space restrictions and the heat building makes air not as efficient, i experience a lot of noise with SLI of Asus GTX970s, and then a lot lower with MSI GTX980Ti, but still on demanding games and hot days.... it was noticeble to say the least, i do think i would have ended with a much quieter setup if i were to have gone water with either setups, now im back to single gpu and its fine on air.

To recap, i do think watercooling GPUs is a good idea when you either going multiple gpus or if you plan to OC.

GameMiv3 >> AsRock H170 Pro4 | Intel Core i7-6700K | Prolimatech Genesis + 2x Thermalright TY-147A | Kingston HyperX FURY 64GB DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX1080 Gaming X | Acer Predator XB321HK 4K IPS Gsync | Samsung 850pro 1TB | WD RED 3TB | Silverstone FT05 + 2x Silverstone AP182 | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | SimMi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:20 pm 

My rig is watercooled, CPU and GPU.

There are lots of options for GPU waterblocks, and there are PWM pumps these days that can run at low speeds. (Silently in my case)

EVGA makes video cards with waterblocks factory-installed (I believe they're EK rebrands) and they perform quite well.

Swiftech MCP35X review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65287