Zalman Reserator1

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GenghiS_KhaN

Zalman Reserator1

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:54 am

Some months ago Zalman started investing in the watercooling market with the Zalman CPU block (ZM-WB2). It was a big hit.
Now they are making a new product for your watercoolingset.
It's a reservoir called the reserator1. It's a 3-in-1 solution with reservoir, radiator and pump combined. There's no need for a fan on the radiator because it works with some kind of convection principle

They keep using the removable fittings. The tower is made of aluminium and weighs 6.2kilograms, it can hold 2.5liters. But the pump is not so powerfull, it moves 300L/h and can only push water up 0.5meter. The tower is 592mm high and 150mm wide but it has a nice design

Sad to here it will only be released in January 2004 and if everything goes like planned, it could be released in December
Last edited by GenghiS_KhaN on Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:35 am

Looks cool. Can't wait to see some more pics. 300L/hr is fine unless you have a massive need for flow. .5m head is plenty for me in a midtower case. Curious how many W they say it will dissipate with no fan and all...

EDIT:

P.S. Hopefully it will be 1/2 OD

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:44 am

i'll try to find some information about the convection principle.
And the site where i found this didnt give its source so... :)

edit: princinple of convection: hot water rises, cold water goes down. Its that easy :)

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/ency ... 16599.html

P.S. Hopefully it will be 1/2 OD
Sorry, I dont know what you mean :oops:

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:56 pm

Found this link. Mostly not english, but there's some zalman stuff there.
http://pcweb.mycom.co.jp/news/2003/09/29/17.html

Note the reserator in action on the one pic. It looks like its about 3 feet tall! :shock:

EDIT:

There's also a real life pic of that fanless Zalman case. Schweet.

I am guessing $600 for the Reserator.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:54 pm

Note, the following comments are based on what I see in the picture shown, I don't have any additional info on this unit.
miker: Looks cool. Can't wait to see some more pics. 300L/hr is fine unless you have a massive need for flow. .5m head is plenty for me in a midtower case. Curious how many W they say it will dissipate with no fan and all...
I agree, it looks like very high bling-bling factor, but I have very high doubts about whether it would work well or not...

300LPH translates to 5LPM or about 1.5 GPM with NO FLOW RESISTANCE! 0.5M head is about 19" of resistance after which you have NO FLOW! (For those more familiar with fans, the flow rating is equivalent to the free air rating and the head pressure is equivalent to the static pressure) This tells me that the pump is severely lacking in power, and will not pump a meaningful volume if there is any flow resistance to speak of in the rest of the circuit. Note that in a closed loop system, 'head' height doesn't make much difference, the water flowing down hill generates enough suction to help keep the water flowing uphill, even if the peak height is greater than the nominal 'head' rating. What the head number DOES tell you is how much flow resistance the pump can handle.

As a comparison, The three most popular Eheim pumps have GPM ratings of 2.6 for the 1048, 5.2 for the 1250, and 10.0 for the 1260 / 1060 (I've seen both model numbers, not sure what the difference is) the 1250 has a head rating of 6'7" or about 2M, I'm not sure of the others but believe they are about the same, or better. My Iwaki MD20RT will pump 8.0GPM (30LPM), with a head of 14'6" or a bit over 3M.

The only saving grace is that a given amount of flow restriction will make less of a dent in the flow volume as the flow amount drops. Thus a flow restriction that would bring my Iwaki to it's knees won't make much difference to this Zalman pump - If the flow is lousy to begin with, it is hard to make it worse....

The way the pump appears to be part of the base, I suspect it would also be difficult to swap the supplied pump out for a better one.

The thing is also made from aluminum. This means that unless one wants to deal with corrosion issues, it will be necessary to have all the rest of the metals in the system be AL as well, which will have a minor negative impact on efficiency.

Next is the convection cooling idea - It might work, the tower appears to be heavily finned, and it's big enough that it might make a very good radiator. It appears that both the coolant supply and return lines go into the base. Presumably the pump inlet suckes from the res, the supply line is hooked up to the pump outlet, and the return line just passes through and returns to the res. What isn't clear is how they prevent hot return water (which with such a low flow rate I would expect to be VERY hot) from mixing with the cooled supply water. I see what look like inlets and outlets in the top of the base unit, but nothing in the tower tube that would keep them seperated. (but that could just be from the photo angle...)

Overall, if I was to predict results, I would expect that it would work, but not as well as a higher flow, all copper system. I expect that it would be able to handle ONE CPU, but not additional loads like Duallies, GPU's, or hard drives. Not needing a fan would make it a quiet item (Unless the pump is noisy), but depending on the system you might still need fans in the case for all the heat loads that the tower couldn't handle.

Gooserider

edcrane

Post by edcrane » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:23 pm

The Nordic Review makes this thing sound pretty good (certainly quiet), but it only tested the thing with a single CPU. I wouldn't even bother going to watercooling for a CPU only solution, and it's capacity to cool larger loads has yet to be demonstrated.

http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/c ... an_passiv/

Gnep

Post by Gnep » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:00 am

As a heads-up, for those in the UK, WACC http://www.wetandchillychips.co.uk/ have just got something similar - should be ready for sale within the week, available in a number of lengths and colours - this one uses an external pump however. Should be around £30-£40. See the threads here:
http://wetandchillychips.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=655
and here:
http://wetandchillychips.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=738
for more details :)

Gnep

NapalmDeath

It has real potential

Post by NapalmDeath » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:38 am

After reading the nordic review, this setup has real potential.
There is an additional kit for a GPU water cooling block.

I'm almost inclined to wait and see if there is a rev 2 coming.
rev 2 might give us a more powerful silent pump.

After getting a vid passive heatsink ZM80A, only to see a ZM80C come out later with mounts for the large quiet fan, I'll wait for rev 2.
Luckily since the vid is just below the CPU, I just needed to crank up the fan on my cpu heatsink to get the airflow and avoid vid card lockups.

A Reserator and an Antec Phantom would give me a completely fanless setup :P

Fans are the devil :twisted: