watercooling: fix barbs securely to case

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chylld

watercooling: fix barbs securely to case

Post by chylld » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:23 am

heya all

i need to affix barbs to the back of my case and to the side of a rad box i'm building. the idea is that the barbs are securely attached to the case / box and so a sudden tug on a tube on one side of the barb doesn't affect the tube on the other side.

here's a diagram (btw replace "14mm-thick pine" with "12mm-thick MDF"):

it's been suggested to find some female-threaded hose barbs, screwing 2 of these onto the ends of a male-threaded tube which runs through a hole in the case / box. this is the best solution I can think of, however the parts aren't readily available to me (i'll keep looking tomorrow)

does anyone have any ideas?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:55 am

You're on the right path but want a bulkhead fitting instead of just threaded tube. The bulkhead is designed to clamp onto the panel.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:13 pm

thank you SO much!! :) :) :)

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:04 pm

Hardware stores have these kinds of connections, usually in brass or nylon. I prefer nylon hose barbs.

Be sure to put teflon tape or non permant liquid thread sealer on the threads of the connections to prevent leaks.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:00 pm

hmm i went to repco and bunnings but neither had any bulkhead fittings. they didn't even know what a bulkhead fitting was! and i'm starting to get tired of sounding like an idiot trying to explain it.

i'm going to try Reece on tuesday, they're a plumbing supply company who really should have them, or at least know what i'm talking about.

there were however enough parts in bunnings to make a semi-dodgy one, using a male-male threaded joiner with 2 female-threaded barbs either side. however the problem is that when you tighten the barbs to the joiner, there's too much slack and it won't be rigidly secured to the panel/case. if i trim off some thread until it's rigidly secured to the panel/case, then it might not be watertight anymore.

looks like bulkhead fittings are the way to go.. hmm i wonder if they're sold in australia at all

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:54 pm

Other places to search:

Recreational Vehicle dealer/repair shop.

Watercraft (boats) dealer/repair shop.

Local plumbers.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:16 pm

Bulkhead fittings are definitely the way to go, and that is the correct name for them so any good supply shop shouldn't have any problem understanding what you are talking about. (At least in the US, it is possible they call them something else down in kangaroo country where everyone talks funny ;-} )

Be prepared to specify the thickness of the panel you'll be mounting in, as that will change what size fitting you need.

Your best place is probably a plumbing specialty shop, especially one that deals with agricultural or industrial needs as well as home plumbing. You might also try an industrial supply house.

Gooserider

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:53 pm

yeh thanks for the help guys, ur definitely more helpful than the people over at the OCAU forum :)

the problem i realised with bulkhead fittings is that i'd still be worried about fluid between the 2 halves of the bulkhead - that and the fact that they're expensive!

i found something suitable at bunnings (oz equivalent of home depot) - essentially a brass tube with barbs on either side, and 2 screw-on fittings to secure it to a panel:

they're pretty cheap as well - AUD4 each :)

DynamicalSystem

Post by DynamicalSystem » Wed May 05, 2004 10:38 pm

These maybe a different thing, but Tank Connectors here in the UK seem to do the same job.

I have a couple of Code PB3815 at PolyPipe to play with. They came out of the local DIY store.

My issue with them is that they are bulky, there's no tap and the "tank side" of the connector is difficult (for me) to attach to a pipe.

DynamicalSystem

Post by DynamicalSystem » Thu May 06, 2004 4:03 am

chylld,

What are your brass whatsits called? I think they're just what I need, but I can't find anything similar in the UK.

DS

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu May 06, 2004 7:39 am

interesting find, DS.

my brass whatsits are called "hose connectors". that's it. :)

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Fri May 07, 2004 4:45 pm

Most people would call them "Bulkhead Fittings" and they come in a great variety of ends, sizes, etc. The one Chyld shows is a bit unusual in that it has screw on parts on each side. More typicallly you will have one side that is fixed as either a molded in nut or flange, and the other side will have a nut. There is also a variation in the length of the part that goes through the wall, to accomodate different wall thicknesses.

These are actually intended to be used for passing a pipe through a thin wall or a tank, many will have rubber gaskets for sealing.

They should be easy to find at any good plumbing shop, especially one that targets industrial apps.

Hope this helps,

Gooserider