It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What do you think of this system made by Holly?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:12 pm 
Patron of SPCR

I'm new to watercooling, and have recently read a review in a magazine about a water cooled PC. It grabbed my attention as not only was it a nice case, it was watercooled with an internal radiator. I would prefer an internal radiator as it makes it easier to move your PC about (something I am likely to do reasonably often). Apparantly this machine is meant to run quietly (but how quiet compared to SPCR standards I don't know). I'm wondering what people here think of the potentilal of this system.

Here is a link to a pdf of the review:
http://www.hollycomputers.co.uk/downloa ... A28S-W.pdf
and another link to the manufacturer's site:
http://www.hollycomputers.co.uk/acatalo ... KA28-W.php

I'm not intending to go out and buy this machine, I'm just trying to understand what components are needed to make a fast quiet machine. With a little luck my next machine will be watercooled.

Acousti case | modded Chieftec 420W |120mm Nexus @850rpm| Asus A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2 | AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton | Thermalright SLK 947 U | 92mm CPU AcoustiFan | Gigabyte 6800 (passive) | 160Gb PATA Nidec Samsungs in enclosure & 300Gb DM10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:38 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

The point of watercooling is that using water as the working fluid in the system allows you to use much larger fans, and so run quieter for a given heat load. I personally think it could be potentially very quiet indeed, but probably isn't yet. The pump appears to be decoupled and looks like a small one anyway. This leaves the fans/psu and hdds as noise sources - a fairly familiar situation.
The other major advantage of that system is that hot air is vented straight to atmosphere, not to the PSU - so the PSU will hopefully run cooler & quieter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:42 pm 

Hard to tell much from the website, but the hardware didn't look to bad, other than the bling bling window... However I wouldn't be interested since they don't believe in giving you a choice in operating systems.... I'm not interested in buying a defective, OS and that was the only set of options they offered.

Gooserider