Help, i've caught the watercooling bug!

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bosk

Help, i've caught the watercooling bug!

Post by Bosk » Thu May 20, 2004 7:43 pm

Heya guys, this is my first post on SPCR but i've lurked here for over a year now, and have put many of its great low-noise PC ideas to use in my own system with reasonable success (thanks SPCR!)

I've been tinkering with computers for years but have only become serious about low-noise/modding/overlocking during the past 2 years.

I've always relied 100% on air cooling... until less than a week ago.

During a nightly clickathon spending spree, i impulse bought a Zalman Reserator for my main rig, mainly because i've never had the balls to go watercooling before - too worried about leaks and confusing terminology - and the zalman sounded impossibly easy to setup and dead quiet.

So anyway i've managed to install it no worries, and the noise level is pretty damn impressive - its really just the pump noise and even that's about as quiet as a low speed 80mm panaflow, maybe less.
I get the feeling that i won't be returning to pure air cooling now that i've "taken the plunge" :roll:

BUT

I bought it with the optional VGA block, so im using the reserator to cool both my 2.8C (stock speed) and my 9800 Pro.
Problem is it doesn't seem to be able to cope with both at once and my CPU temps have reached 53 Celcius under load - though my IC7-G board is famous for reporting high temps - but in any case i would like more cooling power partly for peace of mind.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO MY WATERCOOLING QUESTIONS FOR THE SPCR EXPERTS:

- I would like to add a chipset block to the system but i'm not sure what hoze size is compatible, could anyone shed light on this please, and maybe even recommend a good block that'll mount on my IC7-G?

- I'm also considering adding a radiator and would like to know which kinds are compatible with the tubing size for this system and the pump that the reserator uses. Also, can most radiators be cooled with a single 80mm low speed panaflow or is something that pushes more air generally required?

- I have no idea what sized hoses the reserator requires (it says either 13x10mm or 12x8mm but is that 1/5" or 3/8" or 1/4"?) , does anyone know because I would like to replace the supplied blue hose with something of the see-through variety. Also, do the more expensive hoses like Tygon really make much of a difference compared to the generic stuff and if so how please?

Thanks for reading all of that, and please help me out with some of the questions since i am really out of my depth(heh) when it comes to watercooling :)

afrost

Post by afrost » Thu May 20, 2004 8:54 pm

hmmm, i would recommend not getting a chipset block. you obviously aren't overclocking if you have a reserator, so just put a zalman passive heatsink on there and call it a day. "chipset" chips are designed to run with only passive cooling, and it will add a lot more restriction to your loop. the reserator pump definately can't handle it.

that brings me to the next point. the reserator pump can't handle a radiator/heatercore either. your best upgrade would be a better pump. you need more flow first, and that alone might improve your temps to where you want them. adding in a radiator totally defeats the purpose of having the reserator in the first place.

so in summary, to do anything else you need a better pump, and a better pump alone might do it for you.

hope this helps

afrost

Post by afrost » Thu May 20, 2004 8:57 pm

oh yeah, i think the reserator is 3/8" ID...but not sure. tygon is better because it doesn't kink as easily as most others. 3/8" hose doesn't kink as easily as 1/2" but is more restrictive obviously. 1/2" is the biggest i would go and 3/8" is the smallest i would go. there is a reason why those two sizes are the most common.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu May 20, 2004 10:50 pm

Welcome to SPCR, fellow aussie AussieFellah! :)

as afrost said, adding a chipset block would be a mistake, and the reserator's pump will simply not be up to the task of pushing water through a radiator at any respectable flow rate.

tygon is a better hose but for the small diameter tubing used with the reserator, it is a gross extravagance; normal 1/2" OD tubing would do fine, e.g. swiftech tubing which is nice and cheap. higher quality tubing is more important in 1/2" ID systems as the hose kinks much more easily, but even then you wouldn't go for tygon because clearflex tubing is just as good and about a third of the price.

i think it's best for you to consider the reserator as a learning experience, and not something to build up on; it simply has too many limitations built in to make it a worthwhile platform for enhancement. instead, spec a system with a better pump, proper radiator and then put it on your current computer, and the reserator on some other, slower but still noisy computer.

Bosk

Post by Bosk » Fri May 21, 2004 1:42 am

chylld wrote:Welcome to SPCR, fellow aussie AussieFellah! :)
Cheers mate! :D
Actually, seeing as you're also an aussie chylld - and you seem pretty "immersed" in watercooling if your sig is any guide - would you mind if i asked where you usually buy all your WC parts from please?
You see i usually by all my cooling/modding stuff from PC Case Gear who are close to me in melb, but don't stock as large a range as i'd like.

Yes, i can follow the wisdom of the reserator not being the ideal start to a watercooling system, particularly for me as i'm determined to watercool my 9800 pro and possibly northbridge (seems to be a waste of good water not to, i cant help thinking) and there's no doubt there's no way it will happen with purely passive cooling....unless i start using tornados for case fans perhaps :roll:

Ahh well, i think i'll buy a new pump (maybe the swiftech one) to replace the reserator's stock pump and see if performance picks up much... if not i may end up buying a radiator and using it instead of the Almighty Blue Tower of Power.

I do have one question though, is it possible to cool a decently powerful radiator with just an 80mm low speed panaflow or 2, or does it take more CFMs?
Because I've got 4 panaflow case fans in this box now, and if i removed 2 to use on a radiator i could definately live with that.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri May 21, 2004 2:01 am

no worries. the pump i actually got from pccg, as with the gpu block and the reservoir. the cpu block i got from below-0.net (pccg sell it as well, but at a higher price.) the radiator i got from carlingford auto cooling. fans (papst 4412fgl) i got from lownoisepc.com.

don't get me wrong, i believe that the reserator is indeed a nice intro to watercooling, at least to get people's feet wet in a relatively safe manner :) it just doesn't have much potential.

replacing the pump would be one thing you could do to improve it (if you decide to go that path) however make sure you pick an appropriate pump. the swiftech mcp600 pump (which is what i assume you're referring to) runs off 12V DC (molex connector) as opposed to mains (240V AC) so i don't think it would work with the reserator, unless you put the pump inside your case. if you then add a proper radiator to the loop, it makes your reserator seem more like a $300 reservoir.

i'm running 2 papst 4412fgl's (rated 55cfm each @12v) @7v and that's about the minimum i'd recommend running through a dense heatercore like the one i have. i reckon you'd be able to get away with running 2 80L's on a smaller heatercore, but i would still highly recommend running 120mm fans.

btw, in case you haven't already, you might want to skim through my guide to watercooling which is actually a sticky in this forum, you might learn a thing or two.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Help, i've caught the watercooling bug!

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri May 21, 2004 11:08 am

I agree with the advice given. I assume you want to WC the NB to reduce noise. Have you tried Speedfan to slow down the NB fan? This works well with my IC7. And before you add a radiator to the loop, why not point one of your Panaflos at the Reserator? The airflow can't hurt...

Bosk

Post by Bosk » Sat May 22, 2004 3:24 am

chylld wrote:btw, in case you haven't already, you might want to skim through my guide to watercooling which is actually a sticky in this forum, you might learn a thing or two.
Thanks very much chylld, i read through your awesome guide and i feel like i have a tighter grasp on this slippery subject :)
Cheers for the links too i think ive visited some of those sites before but Lownoise PC Supplies is a new one for me.

I think i'll take your advice and start planning an "industrial-strength" WC setup perhaps in a new case because this Lian-Li pc-6089 im using tends to magnify vibrations being alluminum and somewhat on the flimsy side - i was using a GMC Trinity prior, but the door broke off in an accident about a month ago and it has since been retired :(

When i bought the reserator i had the idea it could help me achieve a fanless or maybe single fan setup, but i guess with hot components like mine its going to remain a pipe-dream for awhile longer.

HammerSandwich:
Right now im using a swiftech mcx159 (the fanned copper cooler, not a waterblock) on my NB, with it's fan removed. Its about the most heavy-duty chipset cooler ive found for sale yet i find it can get REALLY hot to touch when my case temps get above 25 ambient which is what worries me.
It's not really a problem since im not overclocking now, but with a more powerful WC setup... well i know my p4 will hit 3.4ghz on air so its rather tempting 8)