3-Block reserator setup

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nannygoat

3-Block reserator setup

Post by nannygoat » Sun May 16, 2004 6:21 am

Anyone tried running a reserator through CPU, GPU and HDD blocks? Does the pump die? Also, has anyone tried replacing the pump in the reserator, and/or swapping the outlets from 3/8" to 1/2"?

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun May 16, 2004 5:08 pm

No direct personal experience, but all reviews, etc. have indicated that the stock Reserator pump is on the wimpy side, low volume, low head pressure, restrictive tubing, etc. Adding more blocks will increase the flow restriction, which will hurt flow rates and thus performance. (not to mention the extra heat added by whaterver the additional blocks are cooling) IOW, CPU and other temps will go up, hard to say how much, but will probably depend on the restrictiveness of the added plumbing. Whether that is a problem would depend on just how good the Reserator tube is at dumping heat, and how tolerant the user is of increased temps.

Changing the pump and tubing would presumably help the flow rates, but will add more pump heat and possibly increase the noise. Likewise, other reviews have suggested that the Reserator's cooling can be greatly increased by increasing the airflow over it (i.e. pointing a fan at it) but again this presumably would increase the noise. Increase the noise enough, and you can start wondering what's the point of buying that overly expensive Reserator instead of a more conventional WC system.

Gooserider

WildMaN[DND]

Post by WildMaN[DND] » Sun May 30, 2004 7:29 am

I have standard cpu block, Thermaltake VGA block on 9800 Pro and Acuma chipset block on NB, also to mention 2 connectors 8-to-6 mm tubing.

P4 3.2C ES @ 270x13=3510
ASUS P4P800 FSB 270
2x512 Hynix @ DDR540 dual sync
ATI 9800Pro not overclocked

Room temp 25
Idle cpu temp 31
Load cpu temp 49 (burnP6 & 3d Mark03 1600x1200 6xAA to heat the Radeon).

CPU was the hottest, chipset and radeon slightly warm, so it is the poor quality Zalman CPU block to blame, not passive radiator. I am very happy with the system and it's zero noise. Pump is enough for such load, maybe in future with HDD and PSU cooling I will replace it.

hwsboss

Post by hwsboss » Mon May 31, 2004 9:30 am

Reviews I have seen suggest that the water block that comes with the reserator is actually quite good.

the "fish" flow indicator, is it worth removing?

WildMaN[DND]

Post by WildMaN[DND] » Mon May 31, 2004 11:39 am

>the "fish" flow indicator, is it worth removing?
Dunno, i dont need it, pump works 24/7