radiating heat..

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

moparchris

radiating heat..

Post by moparchris » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:30 pm

ok.. i have watercooling running on my computer already, im just wondering do you ppl run with passive radiators or what ? i have a small one with an 80mm fan on it ATM (got no shroud or anything, im waiting to get some other heatercores that ill use and have an external watercooling case with them)

also.. i dont know much about heatpipe cooling but its just an idea, would it be possible to use some sortof heat pipe cooling for the water instead of a radiator ? and what sortof fluid do heatpipe coolers contain ? would it be possible for me to make wy ownheatpipe thing to cool the water - what would this involve ?

edit - also if i had 2 radiators what would be the pros/cons of running them parallel or in series ?

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:14 pm

i use a "Big Arse" (BA) heatercore which has a core area 144mm wide and 240mm tall, and i have 2 papst 4412fgl 120mm fans on it. running passive is an option if your radiator is really big and has lots of surface area in good contact with free air, e.g. reserator.

using heatpipes to cool the water is an interesting idea. how did you imagine this to be done?

the way i'm thinking is to have several heatpipes partially submerged in the reservoir or something to help bring the heat out, but iirc heatpipes require a significant temperature differential between hot and cold ends so i think it might not be as effective as you think

moparchris

Post by moparchris » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:23 am

chylld wrote:the way i'm thinking is to have several heatpipes partially submerged in the reservoir or something to help bring the heat out, but iirc heatpipes require a significant temperature differential between hot and cold ends so i think it might not be as effective as you think
yeah thats prettymuch what i was thinking.
so would the low difference in temp between the water and surrounding air not be very good for heatpipe cooling ? as i said i dunno much about it, havent heard too much about heatpipes

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:09 am

that would be my guess. if u look at all the current applications for heatpipes, one end is always as close as possible to the heatsource. the difference with watercooling is that the water temp isn't very high at all, in a good setup it's barely higher than ambient (my coolant always remains cold to the touch)

i think perhaps if you salvaged the heatpipes from a zalman hdd cooler, that'd be the most economical way to test out the theory - who knows, it might just work :)