Best heatercore in the UK?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MoJo-chan

Best heatercore in the UK?

Post by MoJo-chan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:07 pm

I'm looking to get a heatercore for water cooling, but I live in the UK. There is a lot of info on what ones to get, but most of it seems to point to US-only cars. Anyone got any ideas which cars have good sized (2x120mm would be ideal) cores in the UK?

So far my only leed is to find a Vauxhall Astra at a scrap yard, although no word on what particular year to go for...

MoJo

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:32 am

Nova heatercores are the same as the US Chevette cores.

You can get premodded cores from www.over-clock.co.uk. Look under their generic radiators section

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:05 am

Are those premodded cores actually any good? I've heard the shrouds they provide aren't that useful.

The Thermochill HE120.2 and HE120.3 are readily available in the UK, and are based on a heatercore design - would one of these work any better?

MoJo-chan

Post by MoJo-chan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:09 am

Thanks HaloJones, I'll look for a Nova one.

I was looking at the pre-modded cores on Over-Clock.co.uk. I'm going to make my own shrowd to fit my system exactly (will be sharing the 120mm fan on the PSU, drawing air from outside the case). The only area where pre-modding is of much interest to me is is when it comes to getting barbs soldered on. The cores on over-clock.co.uk are very expensive though.

MoJo

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:46 am

The cores are good and my attempts to get one from a car dealer showed the Over-clock price for a pre-modded one was pretty good. As for shrouds I made my own

MoJo-chan

Post by MoJo-chan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:06 am

So you tried to get one new from a car dealer? That probably explains the price. It's tempting to go for a new one because you know it will be clean and in good condition, but I think I'll probably try a scrap yard or radiator repair place first.

Your shrowd is nice! WHat is is made of?