Zalman Reserator Problems

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Greg_R

Zalman Reserator Problems

Post by Greg_R » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:03 am

I alluded to this in another post, but felt that I should start a new topic.

I've been running my reserator for about 3 weeks straight and the unit has performed as advertised with zero audible noise. However, in the past few days the pump (an Eheim) has started to make noise. I've disassembled the unit and confirmed that the shaft / blade of the pump is the culprit. I have been using distilled water (purchased from the grocery store). Did I do something wrong or did I just get a dud for the pump? Is there any way to tune up the pump or is there a place to purchase a replacement? (pump or shaft) Thanks!

Greg

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:34 pm

Call Zalman. That's clearly an RMA issue.

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:15 pm

heh i didn't know it was en eheim pump in there :)

what exactly is wrong with the impeller? is it damaged? if so, in what way?

perhaps something broke off one of the components and got lodged in the pump...

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:41 pm

Could have been a little chunk of debris of some kind. It doesn't take much to off-balance the impeller. Even a good wacking against the floor can suddenly make a quiet pump loud.

And yes, it's an Eheim 1000 pump: 80gph, 18" head.

Greg_R

Post by Greg_R » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:31 pm

Thanks guys... I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something I could tweak before I went through the RMA process.

Nothing appears visibly wrong with the impeller and it's a submersable unit (i.e. the motor is completely sealed).

Zigge

Post by Zigge » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:46 am

I am also an owner of the Reserator, and like some of you, I had some noises a few days after I installed it :( ... but I turned off the system for a few seconds and when I turned it back on again it was quiet. This only lasted a couple of occasions and it has not occured now for weeks !

I am using distilled water in the system, but I wonder if I should use some radiator coolant as well ?

And now the only "noise pollution" in my system are the PSU and HDDs ... I am thinking about building a watercooled PSU myself ... info/tips regarding this are welcome :D

:) Zigge

PS. I am VERY pleased with my Reserator so far !!

WildMaN[DND]

Post by WildMaN[DND] » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:59 am

I never had any pump troubles with all my Reserators.

Greg_R

Post by Greg_R » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:09 pm

I thought I'd post an update on my Reserator problem. I called Zalman and they immediately RMA'd the unit. Within 2 weeks I had a new tower and pump and the entire system has been functioning flawlessly for the past 1.5 months. Zalman's service was prompt and I would still recommend this product for those people looking for a silent solution with average o/c'ing cooling abilities...

tatup

Post by tatup » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:28 pm

I'll borrow your thread here...

Is it normal for the CPU block to revolve at a slight nudge? I'm sure to have tightened the screws all the way, yet still the block won't stay put. Also my temps are quite high, 52 idle & over 60 under load (XP 2600@2300something). So far I've only installed the CPU block, and I'm afraid adding a GPU and a HD block will be just too much.

Of course it could be that the motherboard reports too high temperatures (Asus a7n8x-deluxe), since the CPU block feels just lightly warm. Perhaps I should give it more of that Arctic Silver goo...

Straker

Post by Straker » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:56 pm

this block looks like it should rotate - most round blocks are supposed to, especially if they're just held down in the middle. having said that, if a wb/hsf is seated well, it should almost be like a wet suction cup, i don't think it should be able to spin or anything. if you've just set it up, give it a couple weeks (without poking the block either, i think it's just supposed to rotate to relieve stress on the hoses, and then it shouldn't have to any more) for the AS to settle properly. not sure if it applies to AS or just Ceramique but it might help shutting the PC down overnight for a week or two, if you're running it 24/7... their (arctic silver's) page has more specific instructions.

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:06 am

Always liked the idea of the reserator, how much did all of you pay for yours?

And does anyone have any mods? Like moving the inlet to the top, another pump, etc?

turtleman

Post by turtleman » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:58 pm

208$