Radiator Mounting/Performance

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheDarkHacker

Radiator Mounting/Performance

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:56 pm

Since i cant find a nice case with 2 rear 120mm fans, i was just wondering how big of a performance change there would be between the Danger Den XtremeII (Dual 120mm) http://dangerden.com/mall2/more_1pics.asp?fmmore=223
and the Danger Den MicroII (Dual 80mm) http://dangerden.com/mall2/more_1pics.asp?fmmore=229
This is the list of components that i am going to put in my system.

CPU Block: Danger Den 1/2in RBX
GPU Block: Danger Den 1/2in Maze 4 Grahics Block
NB Block: Danger Den 1/2 Maze 4 Chipset Block
Pump: IWAKI MD-20RZT
Reservoir: Dual 3 1/2 Bay Reservoir
Radiator: ?
1/2in Tygon Tubing
Water Additive: Zerex Racing Super Coolant From Danger Den

I was also wondering if i got a case with 2 rear 80mm holes, if it would be good enough to put on 2 80 to 120mm fan adapters and then hook up the
Danger Den XtremeII (Dual 120mm) and still get almost the same performance as if there were 2 rear 120mm fan holes.

caxis0

Post by caxis0 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:44 pm

Well, even if you did get the 80 to 120 shrouds, it still wouldn't work as well because the air pushed or pulled by the two 80s is invariably less than that of two 120s at the same speed--If performance is going to be around the same either way, I'd go with the dual 80 just to save space.

I have a single 120 top mounted in mine, but I am also going to mount a dual 80 in the front. Maybe you could consider a second radiator mounted somewhere besides the rear?

Another point--you may want to try and mount any radiator to where air from the outside hits it first, instead of the hotter air from the inside being exhausted through it.

Hope this helped a little
Bruce

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:52 pm

i think you should do a little bit more research on the pump first. from what i've heard, the iwaki pumps dump a significant amount of heat into the water (esp compared to e.g. eheim pumps) which would REQUIRE the use of a 2x120mm rad.

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:07 pm

What pump do you suggest then, i was also looking at the swiftech MCP600 inline pump because it is powered buy a molex connector instead of running a power cord out of the case. do you have any other recommendations about the components or suggest a different pump. i am open to suggestions and comments since this is my first water cooling system.

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:17 pm

i would suggest either the eheim 1048, eheim 1250 or the mcp600. all 3 are worthy pumps.

the mcp600 is the most "powerful" and it is also the most convenient as it has the 12v molex connection, but it isn't as quiet as the 1048. it is still very quiet however, and it won't take much to silence it.

the iwaki pumps are industrial pumps and are very very good pumps but quite simply are overkill for a watercooling system.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:25 pm

The C-Systems pumps are VERY new and, therefore, a less well-known quantity. OTOH, they are small, run on 12VDC, provide good head, are supposedly quiet, and would be perfect for a dual-loop system. If you end up with 2 radiators, 2 pumps would let you run a CPU cooling loop and another for the GPU and NB. And, yes, this is an ambitious suggestion for a 1st-time WCer. :)