Recommended mods for the Reserator?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:48 pm

Its louder than I though it would be, I can't quiet it down without it reaching over 50ºC... (It's summer here, 30º in my room)

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:50 pm

well what capacity is yours? Like I said, I have the 200 and the 160. The 160 is a kinda noisy, and the 200 is a lot quieter.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:45 pm

Maxamus wrote:
acaurora wrote:Well the only thing that worries me is that my CPU temp is 46 C on IDLE. Haven't tried load yet. Perhaps it's because I'm in super sunny south california, where it's HOT. =[
46*C is nothing to worry about at all. Start worrying when you hit 48*C +
Uhmmm his not using abit like u or I am....
BTW, it really makes me wonder when people talk about enclosing reserator.... why not just get one really huge heatercore (those 3x120mm one or even bigger ones) and run fans at minimum possible bolts on it? Will cool much much better with "surface area" being a little more optimized for air going through it vs design that was primary convection object. (not to mention being cheaper)

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:52 pm

Well what I was gunna try to do was to have some kind of large posterboard cylinder, or some type of enclosing cylinder and then attempt to mount some fans at either the bottom or the top. Probably would mount them on top, still thinking about it. As for the # of fans, I may have 1-4, I'm still trying to think of the best solution. Maybe I'll have 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom, or just one at both ends, or maybe just one at the top. I really don't know yet. Until i actually find the cylinder to enclose it, it's on hold ~.~

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:50 pm

just wrap it with celofane for testing (plastic food wrap).

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:00 pm

Cellophane? What?! That's like choking the radiator. I would rather have an enclosure at least 1-2 inches bigger in diameter, for better airflow. Using Cellophane, in my opinion, would be too restrictive.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:45 pm

You want to have the enclosure touching the tips of the fins, so that all of the air is forced into close contact with the warm metal. Adding extra volume to the chimney isn't going help if there's no mechanism to heat it.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:59 pm

Oh, ok. Cool. I'll try it, and let you guys know how it goes. I probably will use a cardboard cylinder (like from the bathroom tissue rolls) to hold up the 120mm fan, which, i have decided, to be at the top. I am only a little worried about how the fan is going to be supported.

Or, wait. How about this: I use the cardboard/posterboard cylinder to enclose the cellophane-wrapped Reserator, and then use the cellophane to line the top of the cardboard/posterboard cylinder. That way I can channel the air better.

------------
Fan
------------
-\ /-
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

So it's a cellophane-wrapped reserator enclosed in a cardboard/posterboard cylinder, mainly serving as a support mechanism for the fan. Now, to buy / find a bunch of 4 pin molex wires . . . ~.~ It's times like these I wish other PSU manufactuers would put an external 4 pin molex connector like Antec does... -.-;;