Cleaning out a used heatercore?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MoJo-chan

Cleaning out a used heatercore?

Post by MoJo-chan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:57 am

Took a quick look around and searching on Google, but didn't see much info on cleaning out used water cooling components. In particular, I have a heatercore I bought from a scrap yard second hand, which needs cleaning up a bit. I also have a second hand DangerDen RBX which I'd like to flush just to be sure before pitting it into use.

I can clean up with outside of the core with wire wool and a dremel. It's the inside I'm worried about. I was thinking of flushing it with running tap water and maybe some mild bleech. Thing is, putting tap water in it kind of defeats the point of then using distilled water in the system unless that too is well flushed and dried out. Perhaps after I flush it with tap water I could put it in the oven to evaporate out any remaining water?

Mr Flibble

Post by Mr Flibble » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:43 am

I registered specially to reply to this :wink: (Been lurking for a while though).

If you're in the UK, then Halfords stock a dual bottle thing called Heavy Duty Radiator Cleaner. The first bottle allegedly "removes limescale and rust particles" and "clears blocked cooling systems", while the second bottle is neutralising and anti corrosive.

This is what I'm using to clean out the heatercore I bought 2nd hand from Ebay. I'm not sure how safe it is on pumps and tubing, so I'll be using a knackered Hydor and old tubing to pump it round. Might be an idea to put a bucket in the loop to sediment out all the rubbish too.

If you're in the US, then I'd imagine you can find something similar in whatever shops out there sell car bits/paints/cleaning products.

Michael Dooley

Post by Michael Dooley » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 pm

MoJo-chan:

Take your heatercore to a radiator shop (along with the other thing) and tell them about your concerns. Auto radiator shops have heard it all - they will be ablr to flush your core and repair it if it needs repair. They are the professionals with your salvaged part. :)

MoJo-chan

Post by MoJo-chan » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:31 am

Thanks guys. I got the core from a radiator repair place so at least I know it's in good condition and does not leak :)

Mr Flibble: Someone else suggested a Halfords product so I'm going down there to take a look. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:41 pm

i fill it with soda water, shake it a bit, let it sit for a few minutes and then tip it out, rinse with distilled water, repeat once or twice more and then do a final rinse and that's it :)

works well for me.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:17 pm

Rad shops can certainly clean out a core, but the cost may be as much or more than a new core. Alternatively if you can find a way to recirculate HOT water through it, you may be able to get it pretty clean with a commercial radiator flush product.

I wouldn't worry about using tap water in the core, that is probably the least of the contaminants in it now... Just plan on doing a flush w/ distilled cycle or two when you put it in service.

Gooserider

gotensan01

Post by gotensan01 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:18 pm

I always thought CLR would be a good choice. For those that don't know what CLR is, it is called Calcium Lime & Rust remover. They used to run a bunch of commercials. Of course I would flush it out after cleaning it with CLR.

Straker

Post by Straker » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:32 am

pretty much all of the stuff suggested so far would work fine as well, i just thought i'd add another way for flushing it after it's clean, if you aren't immediately using the rad (ie can't just run distilled water through your setup into a bucket for a bit), you could just rinse some rubbing alcohol through it to get the tap water out, will be all dry in a couple minutes.
kind of extreme though, even if you just used tap water to flush it and then let it sit there wouldn't be much of anything left behind by the few mls of water remaining. :P