Reserator BANGING noise remains... =[

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Reserator BANGING noise remains... =[

Post by acaurora » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:46 pm

I tried unscrewing the backplate on the Reserator according to the manual. And, well, after 2 hours of twisting and turning, it didn't budge. I lost some skin though trying... :oops: I tried putting my arm + screwdriver in from the top and tightening the screws holding the bracket that holds the pump - it helped a little, but not by a lot. I dont think it's because of any air bubbles.

Zalman is doing a voluntary recall of the flow indicators, supposedly with metal fittings it is less likely to break?
http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/support/rma ... region=USA

I posted on their forums, and hopefully I'll find a way to tear off the backplate and try to fix it, because RMAing isn't something I want to do. But then again, with the EXOS Al arriving today, it's not like it'll be a big problem.

ARGH! I wanna just smash this thing to bits... :evil:

Downside

Post by Downside » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:12 am

Just a wild thought, but you could always disable/remove the pump on the reserator, and use it in series with the Exos as a huge res and extra cooling.

I imagine an exos and reserator combo would give excellent temps, and easily let you run no noise fans in the exos.

Rediculously expensive, but since you already have both :D

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:19 am

wow... that's a pretty good idea...

but how would I connect it then in order... assuming i was able to remove the pump?

output from exos -> reserator -> cpu -> gpu -> out -> reserator -> exos?

I would assume that the reserator would be the intermediate step between the computer and the EXOS, or should I have the Reserator as just the intermediate step for when the water exits the computer, so that

output from exos -> cpu -> gpu -> out -> reserator -> exos?

Downside

Post by Downside » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:26 am

Passive cooling is the most effective when the temp difference is highest, so I would say, starting at the pump...

Exos -> CPU -> GPU -> Reserator -> Exos.

This would keep the hottest water in the reserator, and then further pull the temp down as it passes through the exos.

But honestly, your temps will probably be so low it wouldn't matter much either way.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:28 am

well I think it's worth checking out anyway :D I'll try it when I get back from my week-long vacation.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:40 pm

Try using a rubber strap wrench on the backplate - should give more torque. If that doesn't work, a chisel at a near tangent with a big hammer will break most anything loose if isn't welded....

Gooserider

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:50 pm

Oh dont worry, I got it off. After 2 days of struggle, it finally came loose. Unfortunately because i used my foot to push it while pulling with my hands it hit a wrench i had on teh floor and now it has a big dent on one of the fins -_-